Inexpensive bars for klunkers?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Saw this bike on " Klunkerz and Such Nonsense" Facebook.
Andy Phelps Marin klunker 1.jpg
Andy Phelps Marin klunker 2.jpg
Andy Phelps Marin klunker 3.jpg

I think it's very cool, love the handlebars! asked owner Andy Phelps if he knew if they were available anywhere?
He replied, "The handlebars are extremely rare from what I've heard, made by Magura."

If anybody knows a Wald or other inexpensive bar that is close please let me know. Would like a wider bar with like a 5" rise. What I really like about those bars is all the length in the "grip" area so room for shifters and brakes.
thanks!

Wald 828 bars are similar in that they fit a 7/8 bar and the lower bends are similar, but they have a lot more backsweep and Wald never intended anyone to do serious offroad maneuvers on them. I'd be inclined to drop $35 for something like the Al's Rapid Transit cruiser bars. Still plenty of backsweep, but they're 4130 so they're going to hold up....although Al does say "Not recommended for off road use." I think the bend is pretty similar to the vintage Magura bars you like. Check'm out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beach-Cruis...der-Chrome-Bars-Rat-Rod-Bicycle-/261467678629 There are also plenty of steel 7/8 motorcycle bars that will have similar bends...

Wald 828 bars are similar in that they fit a 7/8 bar and the lower bends are similar, but they have a lot more backsweep and Wald never intended anyone to do serious offroad maneuvers on them. I'd be inclined to drop $35 for something like the Al's Rapid Transit cruiser bars. Still plenty of backsweep, but they're 4130 so they're going to hold up....although Al does say "Not recommended for off road use." I think the bend is pretty similar to the vintage Magura bars you like. Check'm out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beach-Cruis...der-Chrome-Bars-Rat-Rod-Bicycle-/261467678629 There are also plenty of steel 7/8 motorcycle bars that will have similar bends...
Now that you mention them, motorcycle bars! Guy sold me a set from a small Honda cheap at a swap, put them on my Mongoose Stat and love them! Not knurled in the center for a stem tho so I had to make my own shims from tubing.
DSCF1622.JPG
DSCF1623.JPG
DSCF1624.JPG

I will check out the bars you recommenced, Thanks!

Just run a 7/8" bmx-type stem?
Mostly my stuff is mix or match swap meet stuff. I see something I like - not too much $ I grab it and set it aside till the parts come together. :bigsmile:
small1798.JPG

Lucky I had some tube just the right size to shim the bar to fit the stem.
small1794.JPG

@808 or anyone else know how the fork, frame, headset is set up on this bike? Looks like there is a spacer I'm the headset, but I've never seen a set up like that.

Robertk, it looks like a typical Aheadset style frame and fork. The steer tube on the fork is not threaded, just a clean tube that comes up through the headset. The top cap (with the phillips screw head) is threaded into a star nut that is set into the steer tube of the fork. That is what holds the fork into the head tube and keeps the correct tension on the bearing cups.

The two bolts on the back of the stem hold the fork firm and keep it in alignment with the bars and frame. Looks like there is only one spacer, as the height of the stem clamping piece is quite tall. So, not much adjustment here, unless you go with a different stem that has a shorter clamping area. Then you could lower the stem rise by putting spacers on the top of the stem instead of underneath.

There are dozens of stem options, different reach, rise, color (black might be cool here). Your steer tube is likely 1 1/8" in outside diameter, the most common for aheadset style stem / headset combinations.

HF, I like to hit the motorcycle graveyards for '70s era motocross bars. Nice and wide, not so much sweep but plenty of space for shifters, levers, etc. That's what I have used on my two klunker builds so far.
mesabuggie.jpg

HF, I like to hit the motorcycle graveyards for '70s era motocross bars. Nice and wide, not so much sweep but plenty of space for shifters, levers, etc. That's what I have used on my two klunker builds so far.
View attachment 31749
Ya, at the Shakedown rat rod show in Oshkosh, I was eyeing up the bars on a 1960's Bridgstone motorcycle... ;)

Thanks @OddJob. I should have said the first bike pic posted was the bike I was referencing. It's threaded, but guess it's a super long stem?
That's a combination I recently used on my Faded Glory build. The fork was a Monark springer from a long head tube women's frame. Use the threaded cone nut for the bearing compression. Then cover the remaining threads, with spacers that would be used with a 1" threadless headset...leaving just enough for the top nut on the threaded fork. Then they have a long quill bmx stem inserted.

I agree with OJ on the motorcycle bars if you cant find bike bars.

I used 70s motorcycle bars on my winter build, knurls were perfectly located on my Shimano SR MT101 Stem.

Working on another build with MotoX bars as well. Paid about 30 shipped on ebay

@G-Matt had a set of bars made for his orbo16 Brave Heart build by Mr Tick. Those look sweet with the VBar.

Latest posts

Back