Internally geared hubs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings, all. I am looking for a rear hub for my wife's speedster. I have had a couple of Sturmey Archer S2C hubs on my bikes and I really like them. I can't seem to find those anymore. Does anyone have a good alternative?

I liked how the S2C gives you a low gear when you need it, but it looks clean with no cables.

Thanks

S2C is pretty much what Sachs Duomatic was. We have a few of them in Europe. If you want one - i have a couple lying around, but they are not cheap unfortunately. But they ride like a dream. My ex girlfriend has one on her Schwinn Corvette and she claims it to be the best riding bike of the universe.

There are a few brands, but I think only Sturmey Archer still makes them. They have a non coaster version also, but you probably need the coaster brake version. I have one on a cruiser and it's great.

There recently was a company named Eagle making repros of the old Bendix yellow band 2 speed but I can't find any for sale. They shift just like the SA, low and normal gears. Used yellow and red band hubs are out there, but it's hard to say how good they are. The blue band Bendix is a normal gear and a higher gear.

KT has a 2 speed hub also, but I've only seen them advertised on 3G bikes. I haven't found them sold alone.

Sram made a 2 speed called Automatix that shifts only automatically at about 10-12 mph. I have one of the freewheel type that I like, but no manual shift. The Sram Automatix with coaster may still be available as unsold stock at some places. 28 or 36 hole hubs. You always start out in low, unlike the others that shift when you pedal back for the brake.

04 Nov mockup.jpg

There are a few brands, but I think only Sturmey Archer still makes them. They have a non coaster version also, but you probably need the coaster brake version. I have one on a cruiser and it's great.

There recently was a company named Eagle making repros of the old Bendix yellow band 2 speed but I can't find any for sale. They shift just like the SA, low and normal gears. Used yellow and red band hubs are out there, but it's hard to say how good they are. The blue band Bendix is a normal gear and a higher gear.

KT has a 2 speed hub also, but I've only seen them advertised on 3G bikes. I haven't found them sold alone.

Sram made a 2 speed called Automatix that shifts only automatically at about 10-12 mph. I have one of the freewheel type that I like, but no manual shift. The Sram Automatix with coaster may still be available as unsold stock at some places. 28 or 36 hole hubs. You always start out in low, unlike the others that shift when you pedal back for the brake.

View attachment 220938

Good and detailed response!

I took a look around the web today to see if I could find any type for sale. Everything is sold out or discontinued. But they are out there.

I put a Yellow Band Bendix on my '73 Speedster, which was originally a single speed. Also added a front brake at that time. It works well and tames the occasional hill around here in mainly flat Chicago.

The Bendix Red, Yellow and Blue Band hubs can be found 2nd hand on Ebay, but keep getting more expensive. I suspect that they might be popular for building up StingRays, which can command some pretty impressive prices.

The Eagle Bendix reproduction hubs were reported to be imported to the USA by Merry Sales co. Merry sells direct, but doesn't appear to have any complete hubs available.

https://www.merrysales.com/shop/category/components-hubs-internal-gear-796?order=name+asc
However, the Eagle hubs were supposedly direct copies of the Bendixes, and Merry is selling various Eagle components. I imagine that this makes it possible to return old Bendix kickbacks to service.

I see where they have the Eagle parts for sale, but not a complete hub. They are an exact copy so the originals can be restored. I put an old yellow band Bendix with an S7 wheel on my 71 Varsity and it worked well but growled in low gear.
o06ijd.jpg

I would like to find another S2C. I like the one on my Speedster much better than the Bendix Red bands I have used over the years. The Bendix hubs I have had always had too much drag in high gear.

I can't locate the S2C anywhere. It's still on Sturmey's product page, but on one has them in stock. Are they discontinued?

They were getting scarce when I bought mine a couple years ago. I couldn't find a 36 hole hub so I settled for a 32 hole version. Then I measured and drilled out a 36 hole rim to make it a 32 hole rim. I taped off the 36 holes so I wouldn't foul it up. That's what's on my Riff Ratt bike.
SA 32 wheel.jpg

I've had poor luck with S-A and Nexus hubs, not with their operation but trying to source parts!
I installed a S-A RXL-RD3 rear hub and it works wonderfully, but sourcing all of the bits and bobs was a headache!
I'm sure the problem was not knowing what I needed for the particular bike it was installed on.
Finally I got help from this source : Sturmey Archer Spare Parts. Kind of funky but in the end I got what I needed.
I just bought a new Nexus-8 mounted to a 26" wheel for another project. I have the shifter and correct non-turning washers but the Inter-M roller brake is dang near impossible to find! Anywhere.
This is what I have...
s-l1600 (1).jpg

This is what I need. This is the Inter-M roller brake module.

inter M.jpg

I had one purchased from da bay when they cancelled my order due to lost or damaged goods.
I'm going to my LBS to see if I can get help because I can't find one anywhere.

I think internally geared hubs are awesome but if you can't get parts...

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I could use come help.

Peace!

I was so excited until I saw the part number!
Not sure of the difference but what I need is a br-C6000
Thanks for the offer, I foresee endless hours of checking spec's and parts diagrams.

I've had poor luck with S-A and Nexus hubs, not with their operation but trying to source parts!
I installed a S-A RXL-RD3 rear hub and it works wonderfully, but sourcing all of the bits and bobs was a headache!
I'm sure the problem was not knowing what I needed for the particular bike it was installed on.
Finally I got help from this source : Sturmey Archer Spare Parts. Kind of funky but in the end I got what I needed.
I just bought a new Nexus-8 mounted to a 26" wheel for another project. I have the shifter and correct non-turning washers but the Inter-M roller brake is dang near impossible to find! Anywhere.
This is what I have...
View attachment 221029
This is what I need. This is the Inter-M roller brake module.

View attachment 221030

I had one purchased from da bay when they cancelled my order due to lost or damaged goods.
I'm going to my LBS to see if I can get help because I can't find one anywhere.

I think internally geared hubs are awesome but if you can't get parts...

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I could use come help.

Peace!

Feel free to write me if you need anything listed above, we have all of that easily available in Europe. Multiple models of roller brakes, all parts for SA and Nexus hubs, anything you desire. Shipping won't cost too much either.

I was so excited until I saw the part number!
Not sure of the difference but what I need is a br-C6000
Thanks for the offer, I foresee endless hours of checking spec's and parts diagrams.
Slightly different model with a smaller cooling rotor, but essentially the same. BR stands for Brake Roller, on the end they have either R or F for rear and front accordingly. Any Shimano product that starts with BR and ends with R would fit you. I can advise you on the models and differences if you want, essentially there are two. The cooling rotor size and the generation. Bigger cooling rotor is recommended for the heavier bikes. More modern brakes have slightly more stopping power then the older ones and use different parts to be repaired. Apart from that most roller brakes are same, up to the fact you can easily detach parts form them and swap them around between same generation brakes. There are also Nexave series roller brakes, that are same as Nexus apart from the cable barrel mount on the front brake.

I agree sourcing parts for these hubs is really difficult. I made the mistake once about 10 years ago and now I will only buy a hub if it is a complete kit in a box or taken from a bike. The shifters can always be purchased separately rather easily. Holland bike and Sdj sports keep some parts but the freight will likely be expensive. I’m sorry I can’t help further.

Latest posts

Back