Intro/Outro

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kia ora from the other side of the planet... I tripped across this site and was impressed by the cool machines on display. While I've been familiar with rat rods and LRBs (since the late 1960s), I hadn't realised there was a scene for bikes.

I've been rodding bicycles since I got my first real two-wheeler in 1961 (a JC Higgins 24" single-speeder) which ended up looking like a boardtracker (around 1968) in dark grey primer. Other machines from back in the day included a Gerardengo (the budget brand of the famous Italian Lygie make) that I inherited from my brother in 1964 and ended up Candy Apple Purple (really!), a Sears version of Schwinn's Stingray that ended up with a big sissy bar, rear slick and the forks off the 10-speed (after I'd totally worn the old bike out) for that chopper look.

From there I kind of graduated to rods and sickels, but did own a Schwinn Continental after the second 'oil shock', which, unusual for me, remained stock.

Since leaving SoCal in 1981 for the Antipodes, I've been playing with old cars and small bore bikes, especially mopeds. I'm keen to build a powered boardtrack style machine, and you guys have really inspired me to put something together. 8)

Well this the place to pick up ideas . lots of talent here and they are always willing to make helpful suggestions...Welcome.

Thanks, frankly I'm really, really impressed with what others on the site are doing. Am currently putting together a '63 CZ 175cc road racer (aka The Junkyard Dog, as she's being built out of spare bits'n'pieces sitting in my shed) and have already started looking for stuff for my boardtracker. The clip-on engines used on some of the gallery's machines are available from a guy whose business only about 2 miles from here, and there are a plenty of bikes around to use as the basis for the project. I've got a lot of motorcycle history books in my library to refer to, so hopefully I can build something that will ultimately look the part (and be usable) - makes up for the 100 year old Motosacoche I missed out on scoring a decade ago. Cheers

Hi, all, thanks for the warm welcome. DMan, I'm in Auckland, what about you? It's a showery weekend over here and I'll be spending some time in the garage working on my CZ classic motorsickel racer project - gotta do something with all the excess bits 'n' pieces sitting in the shed, eh? :wink:

Dman said:
Am a Southerner, down here in Christchurch. Not much of a scene here unfortunately. Any sort of scene really...

I'm surprised at that. There used to be quite a strong hot rod scene in Chch, and thought that the Import scene was pretty big as well. So what do people do down your way? :shock:

Latest posts

Back