Is this Sturmey Archer hub dead?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with SA hubs, this one is a AW and it's marked 83-3. That's March of 83, right? Here´s a picture of the right side (sorry it's blurry, my camera is usually pretty good on macro mode):

dsc01498ge2.jpg

As you can see, there are parts missing. Is this salvageable? Is it a parts donor? Or just a shiny paper-weight? Thanks.

Hugo

Yes, most all sturmey hubs are salvageable. The best thing for you is to find another hub and slide the guts into that shell.

Another quick question. When you're coasting on a SA hub, and the pedals want to move forward, what does that mean and how do I fix it?

Hugo

Question, What is macro mode? I Got it on my camera i don't know what it means.

ricksterr1221 said:
It allows you to take pictures really close up with out them blurring (like 6" or so close)...And why do I think this may be a mistake giving this information to the Rickster... :roll: :shock: :p :wink: :mrgreen:

Aaron 8)

Hugo said:
Another quick question. When you're coasting on a SA hub, and the pedals want to move forward, what does that mean and how do I fix it?

Hugo
Your chain could be too tight, or the hub needs adjustment.

Hugo said:

Hugo

Make sure the cones are adjusted properly. Usually means they are too tight. Or that you have a build up of gunk in the hub and it could stand to be cleaned.

Aaron 8)

wahoonc said:
ricksterr1221 said:
It allows you to take pictures really close up with out them blurring (like 6" or so close)...And why do I think this may be a mistake giving this information to the Rickster... :roll: :shock: :p :wink: :mrgreen:

Aaron 8)

So it will make stuff look bigger Hmm :mrgreen: Rotfl

Back