It was attached to my seat.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So, I found the perfect seat for a build I am working on for a reasonable price. Only thing is this strange frame, fork, stem and bars were attached to it! Anyone have a clue what it is? The number on the crank housing looks like 214? The frame has a lot of surface rust, but appears to be solid....

rusty2.jpg

I thought the stem was pretty cool

rusty1.jpg

Looks like the truss rod supports were integrated into the fork

rusty3.jpg

I am not sure on the brackets. Haven't decided if they are staying or going. I may incorporate them into my rat build. Maybe mount a shifter to the one in the back and use the front to mount a tank plate? Hard to say....I like the look of the bike and I love the front fork, so we'll see. I may hang on to the frame for the bike build off!

Terry66 said:
I am not sure on the brackets. Haven't decided if they are staying or going. I may incorporate them into my rat build. Maybe mount a shifter to the one in the back and use the front to mount a tank plate? Hard to say....I like the look of the bike and I love the front fork, so we'll see. I may hang on to the frame for the bike build off!
Sweeet !!!! I would restore the bike as is(thats me thou),only 3 serial numbers?Definately a prewar(early model).Lot 'o' history there...Only needs chain/rims n trusses..
You can pick up another seat on ebay.de,they have heaps...Look under oldtimer/antik/alte/ledder sattel fahrrad/lepper...Shop with paypal only payments,most speak english and post.

OK...so after some research, the bike is a 1936 Roadmaster. Supposedly the dogleg crank with the smaller ovals on the chainring were only used on the '36 and very early '37 models. Around the headtube, I noticed the paint was flaking really bad under the rust. After I started cleaning up the rust, I noticed that someone had put a "custom" paint job on the bike at some point a LONG time ago. The whiteish paint looks like it was applied with a brush. Even the bearing cup was painted. The white starts on the headtube and runs along all the tubes. Pretty cool stuff.

cwc_paint.jpg

The fork is called a "braced truss fork". Your neck is made of aluminum. Usually, the aluminum will fuse with the steel making it difficult to remove. There's a trick to it using chemicals but I can't remember what you use. Ammonia maybe?? Someone on here will know what to use to get it broken loose. Gary

LukeTheJoker said:
That is an awesome find! If you end up using the frame for the build off, I think you will do well!

Luke.

Well, it has a new owner these days, so I won't be using it in the buildoff. Not sure if you guys can tell, but the seat on this bike is the one I used on my RRBBO7 Higgins!

I sold the fork on this frame last year, but someone had one for sale just recently.

Justin, I am pretty sure it had a standard Roadmaster badge like this one. Pretty common to find. They make repops...

rm_badge.jpg

Back