"It's Never Easy" 1971 AMF Aerobee

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been waiting so long on the painter that I almost forgot I had this bike!

Spokes came in today.

C3767F0F-7FE0-4D38-A936-286FE5E1B419.jpeg

AFC776E7-4840-40B6-82F9-434FB2A03E39.jpeg

I’m going to tension and true them, then I’ve got about a bazillion parts to polish.

Wow! Those tires are amazing! Can you share the vendor of them??
Those are the original tires on the Aerobee. “The Fast One” raised white letter. They are out there, but not cheap because they are getting harder and harder to find.

What can I do about this? I thought I could only put a piece of packing tape over it. But maybe I could try to get the cover off the padding to repair it from behind?

View attachment 219530
That vinyl will be brittle you take off it may not go back on. I've matched up nailpolish and hot glue. Worked pretty good

I bet a mixture of clear silicone and a similar shade of green latex paint would suffice as a patching ‘spread’
@Pondo this might work. I’ll ship the seat tomorrow.

For everyone else… I bought a “new” one. I hope the color works because it’s already painted.

When it’s cold in the garage, and you don’t want your freshly painted project to get other projects’ dust all over it… you bring it inside to finish curing till you’re ready to work on it. And leaving the guard in my closet keeps me from playing with it!

82B9EF1F-3A47-42FC-85C1-BC02122C88FB.jpeg

9B5A9522-DFEA-4865-8AC5-607F79AE23C0.jpeg

When I built the bike in my brain, I thought the green might overpower black letters, so I ordered white, along with black, to see what would work best.

Opinion time!

Here’s the guard: (I’m freaking out with how gorgeous it came out. We used a high end clear coat, and holy cr@p!!)
F136AD3A-52B5-414B-B2E5-AB900E6A6DBB.jpeg

Do you like black:
920BED65-4B64-45BA-897D-9D88468EDAF7.jpeg

Or do you like white?
A9C969EA-A1D1-4923-B715-E79A369A9D80.jpeg

I know it’s a little ridiculous to ask without putting them on. But I’m sending the unused one back to Bruce Crawford, who was so nice to lend me one of them to decide.

The black jumps out at me, but that’s because it’s on a white background. But if you look at the black paint agains the green that gives you an idea.

Conversely, there is also a little white decal that can give you a glimpse of white agains the green.

What say you? Explain your answers to receive full credit for the test.

Latest posts

Back