RRBBO13 J.C. Special / Sharkruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So like usual I will be showing my main and back up build in one thread

First up the main Build
J.C. Special
41133558574_994af41691_b.jpg

Basic Murray Monterrey style frame (although it has a Firestone head badge sticker) that I squired from member CeeBee a few years ago
My plan is to build the baddest bike possible out of this not so very popular frame style
Using nothing but bolt on parts

Second back up build is Sharkruiser
41133559274_c85b22edaf_b.jpg

Frame is from a specialized shark cruise bicycle circa 1996
I have had an idea for this build for a while but when Discovery moved Shark week to near the middle of our build off (rather than after like it used to be)
That is when I decided to hold off and do a special shark week bike build to celebrate the 30th anniversary
airing July 22nd
since it will be a fairly basic build I will hold off mostly building it until beginning of July

Both frames are not overly flashy but are pretty cool if I do say so .
I kind like the straight forward simple lines of the specialized frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My plan is to build the baddest bike possible out of this not so very popular frame style

I don’t think this frame is “not so very popular” they are by far my favorite cantilever frame. The canti bars and downtube/chainstays form a perfect oval eye shape. I’ll take it over a Schwinn or Huffy cantilever any day.

I always enjoy your builds. Let the fun begin.

don’t think this frame is “not so very popular” they are by far my favorite cantilever frame. The canti bars and downtube/chainstays form a perfect oval eye shape. I’ll take it over a Schwinn or Huffy cantilever any day.

yoothgeye,

Tru but I know from what I have seen on this site when doing the competition builds stuff like Schwinn cantilever, or spaceliners, early straight bar frames are way more popular

Even the flightliner frame seems to be liked more (and they are essentially the same)

so one of the things i learned is all murray frames share a basic frame outline that has remained the same thru many different models
because of that the flightliner tank fits as do the fender skirts from earlier models
40080042770_f636247b87_b.jpg

because the flightliner tank reminds me of the old indy car noses i decided to go with that theme
hence the name J.C. Special
not only is the j.c in the name j.c higgins
but also the initials for the popular indy car owner j.c agajanian

I really like the old Indy direction and underfender too.
I never knew that ThickBricks came in any size other than 24x3?

So like usual I will be showing my main and back up build in one thread

First up the main Build
J.C. Special
41133558574_994af41691_b.jpg

Basic Murray Monterrey style frame (although it has a Firestone head badge sticker) that I squired from member CeeBee a few years ago
Using nothing but bolt on parts

Second back up build is Sharkruiser
41133559274_c85b22edaf_b.jpg

Frame is from a specialized shark cruise bicycle circa 1996
I have had an idea for this build for a while but when Discovery moved Shark week to near the middle of our build off (rather than after like it used to be)
That is when I decided to hold off and do a special shark week bike build to celebrate the 30th anniversary
airing July 22nd
since it will be a fairly basic build I will hold off mostly building it until beginning of July

If you don't wind up building the Shark Cruiser I'd gladly take it off your hands!

Tru but I know from what I have seen on this site when doing the competition builds stuff like Schwinn cantilever, or spaceliners, early straight bar frames are way more popular

Even the flightliner frame seems to be liked more (and they are essentially the same)

so one of the things i learned is all murray frames share a basic frame outline that has remained the same thru many different models
because of that the flightliner tank fits as do the fender skirts from earlier models
40080042770_f636247b87_b.jpg

because the flightliner tank reminds me of the old indy car noses i decided to go with that theme
hence the name J.C. Special
not only is the j.c in the name j.c higgins
but also the initials for the popular indy car owner j.c agajanian
That looks great!

The skirts really set off that tank . Everything fits well together .

Dig the parts mix! Hope you keep some of that awesome rat-ina!

I really like the old Indy direction and underfender too.
I never knew that ThickBricks came in any size other than 24x3?

kingfish254

Yup felt made a 24" speedway bicycle that they came on
2005-Felt-Speedway-24.jpg

If you don't wind up building the Shark Cruiser I'd gladly take it off your hands!

CannonCam

well I will definitely be building this shark cruiser
However if I come across the first year version that is gray
I will let you know

Dig the parts mix! Hope you keep some of that awesome rat-ina!

OddJob,

Yes the rat-tina is awesome but since this will be indy car inspired
I have to put on a somewhat nice paint job

I want somewhat of a low look to the bike and to achieve that I went with a 20/24" rattrap springer
however I need to keep the rattrap in original orientation to keep it functioning correctly
Mainly because it is most similar to the torsion suspension
since vintage indy cars are my inspiration

28104880578_37a0e732a7_b.jpg

41931570072_a4388f84c5_b.jpg

I had a similar tire to the thick brick 24 x 3.0 so i wanted to mock it up along with the front springer (top pic)
but I decided to see what the bike looked like with the 24 x 2.125 (lower pic) on as well
Just in case I need a possible contingency plan if i cannot find a felt speedway thick brick 24 x 3.0

what I didn't expect was I feel the smaller tire looks more appropriate for a low slung indy car
the other way looks to stocky
great for a muscular look
but not something straight from the golden age of Indianapolis

I don't know for sure right now which direction I will take but but comments / criticisms welcomed

I like it, killer stance :cool2::cool2:

+1 ! Nice shape ;)
Just a question : why return the stem? There would be a more aggressive style in the right way...

V8Ben

yes there is madness is my method in having it that way
I will go more into it once i find where I put the hbars I want to use
although it may also go back to the right way once it gets mocked up

That is looking mean and fast

Latest posts

Back