Jazzy-Ray: Customer Feedback added!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
A friend's daughter, named Jazzlynn, loves bikes. Her birthday is coming up in August. Her Dad loves muscle bikes. I based my Monster Ray off his OG Manta Ray (Campus Green even). He likes my Monster so much that he wants one for his tall daughter. Hence Monster's little sister Jazzy.

The Monster-Ray:

ifql.jpg

The starting point:

y1p7.jpg

I de-spoked the rear wheel, overhauled and polished the hub, then used the hub to hold the stays. I set up my spreader and went to work.

Here's the spreader set up, ready to start.
6lgx.jpg

After about an hour or so, here's the result. Clearance on either side of the much thicker (26" Jerald Slick) tire.
qnb7.jpg

And what the wheel will look like in the frame. (This is the back wheel off the Monster)
pvsn6.jpg

I prepped the rims which includes a thorough rust removal and polishing, then I spray the insides of the rims with primer to protect them and keep the rust from coming back. (I do this with all my resto wheel rebuilds).

The focus motor on the lens I like to our DSLR crapped out, so I had to try to focus the pics manually... and failed. :/

Here's the before...

358145.jpg

and the after. I still need to tension and true them.

b71f51.jpg

I threw the Felt Shorty fender on. I pre-pinched the fender to fit in the frame just like I had done on my Monster. But low and behold the brake brace is in a different spot!

XDAjQF.jpg

Well, as you may be able to see, not only is the tab way off, but I had to adjust the pinch down the fender. Essentially I ruined it, but I did some hammer work and smoothed it out for the most part. Now I have to drill out the tab, take my grinder and cut in a new slot farther up, fasten it in the right spot, then figure out some sort of cover for the old holes.

On a good note, I got the wheels tensioned and trued.

XFV2kH.jpg

The frame is finished, all the parts are in, so the home stretch is on.

I mentioned the fender mounting tab issue. I got a set of fender screws which I hope the bolt will still allow enough clearance for the tire. (Jaxon, I can see why you want to rivet them) So, I drilled out and removed the tab from it's previous spot, then I (sloppily) cut a new access slot and two bolt holes.

ZN27OW.jpg

I attached the tab to the new mounting point, then covered the holes with screws. The "Slot" didn't cover as well as I hoped, but I don't have a better solution right now. (I'm open to ideas)

OldfmH.jpg

I set it up on the bike and the tab is going to work well in its new spot. I also reinstalled the seat clamp/seatpost, kickstand, and the bearing cups.

SrWvyM.jpg

The mods are pretty much done. The rest of the build will be just putting it together.

"Hey Crash, isn't that a '71 The Judge 5 Huffy "Rail" sitting up under the shelf there?"

Why, yes. Yes it is.
:eek: COOL! Will we be seeing a rebuild some time soon?

Luke.

Another snag on the (supposed to be the) last night of this build.

I routed the shift cable as it was originally routed. But now that the frame is wider in the back, the cable rubs on the tire. How am I going to fix this?

csvZYN.jpg

Can you put a piece of outer cable in there instead of having it open? That way you could allow it to be a bit longer so it naturally bows away from the tire...

I am not sure of how your derailleur set up is configured, so that may not work at all...

Luke.

In the picture, behind the crank on top of the front of the chain stay do you see the housing stop? The housing comes from the bar to just behind the head tube then hits a stop which takes the cable the length of the downtube till the crank where it comes into another housing section that makes the bend by the bottom bracket and ends where you see it. The cable comes out from the stop till just before another stop for the derailleur piece. (I swear it's not as complicated as I'm describing it)

I'm wondering if I could use a housing clip somehow.

Crash,
What about fashioning some sort of bolt on or use a clip on cable guide using a bit of cable housing and position it where it would be hidden by the chainring?

Just brainstorming a clean solution, this thing is SO nice, the last thing you probably want is a 'rigged' look.

Good luck brother.
Cheers,
Dr. T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How about opening up the bead in the fender, inserting a short length rod that will poke down and act as a guide. Or maybe instead of the rod, a long machine screw inserted into the fender lip with a small piece of tube which can server as a roller, retained by the head of the screw.

Latest posts

Back