JC Higgins hub problem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSCI0221.jpg

hey rat rod bikers,

i have a question, this is my girls 1960s 24" JC higgins bike, I worked on it and semi restored it.
Does ANYONE know why the rear hub slips when u applly heavy peddleing pressure, its a hub that has a little nozzel to add oil or grease im not sure

The oil port is for keeping the braking clutch oiled. The drive "pinches" a cone shaped area on the chain side of the hub, some times they can be just jammed up with old grease and dirt or metal filings. Unfortunately they some times wear down or grind off due to abuse or lack of maintainance. The best thing is to open it up and clean it really well, especially inside the drive "screw" and the drive "cone", and if it doesn't look chewed up on the drive parts, put fresh grease all over them and put it back together. If it works, then add oil to the brakes through the oil port and ride. Hope this helps.

A little more information-The best way to open it up is to take off the locknut and bearing cone on the sprocket side, and then turn the sprocket to the left (like you were putting on the brakes), the drive will screw out. Then just slide the rest out from the other side, don't take the brake anchor apart, it's not necessary and just makes it more complicated to put back together.

From what they are telling you it must be a new departure hub ,and they have a bunch of disks ,and If you take it apart wrong its harder to put back together. There are exploded views of them in this help section and it not a real big deal to get it back together. They just take a little oil too so dont think you have to fill up the whole inside with oil through that little door.

Latest posts

Back