Jetflow for Johnny - Finishing up!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, I dunno. If you look close at the bottom one you can see bits of red along the edges and around the letters. But you may be right, two halves brought together to make a whole. Either way, they work together and I will breathe into them new life.

Last night’s storm has the power out, so Instead of working in the garage on Class 2 I took the Komet hub outside for a disassembly, clean & lube.

Thanks to @Wildcat for posting the tutorial from @udallcustombikes.
IMG_8531.jpeg
IMG_8532.jpeg
IMG_8533.jpeg

Seems my extra spokes are all the wrong size, but I have a spare wheel I might be able to use.

All good They got the power back around noon. There were a few thousand outages across Charlotte. Probably mostly downed limbs or blown transformers or breakers. Was a lot of lightning with that one.

We were like, “what do we do without power?”
… “knit, play music, read, work on bikes, play with the dog, go for a walk, you know, all our normal stuff.”
… “but no hot coffee!”
… “no love, no hot coffee.”

It was TERRIFYING! 😉

‘Course, the phones were charged and the cell system worked, so normal internet access.

All good They got the power back around noon. There were a few thousand outages across Charlotte. Probably mostly downed limbs or blown transformers or breakers. Was a lot of lightning with that one.

… “knit, play music, read, work on bikes, play with the dog, go for a walk, you know, all our normal stuff.”
… “but no hot coffee!”

It was TERRIFYING! 😉

‘Course, the phones were charged and the cell system worked, so normal internet access.
NO HOT COFFEE!!!!!! That would be TERRIFYING
Would not happen here Tim Hortons runs without electricity.

… “but no hot coffee!”

It was TERRIFYING! 😉

No coffee? We keep a propane range in the dirty kitchen along with one of those Korean tabletop stoves as back up. I had a Colman camp stove with little green propane bottles that worked best as a backup.
1684362776507.png

No coffee? We keep a propane range in the dirty kitchen along with one of those Korean tabletop stoves as back up. I had a Colman camp stove with little green propane bottles that worked best as a backup.
View attachment 232856
We have a Coleman, but haven’t used it in a few years, and the pump for the fuel broke a little plastic piece.

I made do with cold brew with the camp pour-over maker. Already ordered the replacement pump, and we’re considering other backup options.

All-in-all not dramatic. I mean, I went to the internet to complain about not having hot coffee without leaving the house… and I could have left the house. I’m lucky that was the worst thing to happen to me and mine today. 🙏🏼

Hope you survived the storm alright, John. Looked from the national weather forecast like it might be a nasty one.

@handyandy1100 and @Captain Awesome , you guys suffer any outages / damage?

There was a storm? Must have slept through it. All is well at our place.

Stole an hour to clean & grease the front hub using simple green and another of my favorite solutions. 😉
I’ll save the step-by-step because I think you all know how its done, but Pictures or it didn’t happen!
IMG_8588.jpeg
IMG_8589.jpeg
IMG_8590.jpeg
IMG_8591.jpeg

I think I have my wheels figured out, but it’ll mean 2 wheel rebuilds.

IMG_8626.jpeg

Here’s the clasic hub laced into a rescue 700c rim with 35 tire. Used the “fork and zip tie” truing method. Going to be a bit of a skinny/fat combo.

And yes, there is plenty of clearance for when the springs compress. I can’t get it to touch with all my weight, and I’m not planning on doing a lot of off road with this bike.

They always look so good bare in the photos, but so many imperfections up close, it’s worth painting.

From a distance the paint looked good to begin with, but up close you can see the rough and rust.
IMG_8633.jpeg

FWIW, I used a 120 grit belt sander belt follwed by a wire wheel in the crooks and crevices and low spots. It’s surprising how many divits and creases the sanding exposes in the tubes.

On the tank, Here’s what it looked like after saveral minutes of the wire wheel treatment:

IMG_8661.jpeg

That wasn’t cutting it, so I tried 80 grit sandpaper, by hand. No Joy!
The flapper disc seems to get ‘er dun…

IMG_8662.jpeg

A little more to go, but I’m having to remove all the chrome, too, to get all the rust pits out. Time for a break.

IMG_8663.jpeg

And that, my friends is how you make sure you never win an @OddJob most RaT-isfying RusT-ifying Award. 🤣

Latest posts

Back