Jude skinny tire bike build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which bike would you prefer to see built?

• Blue Schwinn varsity

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Thank you RRB’s for hosting another build off and creating a 3 build off per year annual schedule!!!! Great idea and organization!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

I’m trying to set up a poll, but it looks like it’s not enabled in this thread. (Or my phone!) No worries!!!

I’m torn on which bike to build.

I’d love to hear input or interest from others if they would have a preference

Here’s what I’ve got in the hopper in the way of skinny tire bikes.

“The Jonesey Bike”
I bought this bike to part out and tear apart. It’s just too cute. I Plan on building it for my 18 year old daughter. She may not like it or want it now, but I’m sure she’d look super cute on it and will be able to use it someday
(the fenders are hacked and gone and on the varsity party bike)
FD2CCC83-DA4B-4065-8432-CA2A4F9B3B41.jpeg

“The Mr. Thieben Bike”
A Close family friend lost their father/grand father last year who LOVED his bike and rode it EVERYDAY. They couldn’t fathom selling it but also couldn’t stand to keep it either, so they gave it to me and told me to just please use it and enjoy it.
A98DF291-9435-4F39-B257-129282AA6701.jpeg

“The His” of a his and hers set I’d like to use next summer with wifey. (She said she will NEVER, under any circumstance, ride a tandem with me!!) It’s a Columbia sport 3 I think.
018E617E-B534-4929-B492-53D3CC40B5FC.jpeg

“The $5 Traveler”
Paid a $5 spot for the bike, needs plenty of work
B367E7B2-F61D-4260-BE7D-63EE9B8DACEE.jpeg

Input or angles appreciated!!!

Last edited:
The forks are bent, but a tribute build to Mr. Thieben anf his bike might be inspiring. Otherwise the red Traveler is cool.
last fall, my wife and I were at a dinner party sharing with the Thieben’s about the bent fork that was i.d’d by the members of this community…. They had no idea about the bent fork, but had brought Mr. Thieben’s wife to the party.

we brought up the question to her, about the bent fork on the bike and she ROARED with laughter!!!!! she hit him with her car!!!!! :rofl:

I guess, she was in a hurry to get somewhere and was backing out of her driveway hastily at the very same time Mr. Thieben was coming into the driveway on his trusted Raleigh ….. CRASH!

Both were fine in the incident and it turned into a long running joke for the couple.

My vote is for the "Mr. ThieBENT" build. :D

Which bike has the nicest finish on it? It's been noted recently that painting is tough to do in the winter unless you have the facilities for it.
Great call on this Carl. I’m definitely feeling that weather closing here in upstate NY.

Without question the blue Schwinn has the best paint. In any regard, All of them though, I think I can avoid paint-work and get away with wax, polish or boiled linseed oil.

...or add the univega to the poll! They were known to make a good bike from quality steel
Ha-Ha! Thanks A LOT Matti! Lol

I knew the instant I showed that thing someone would be like…. “Why don’t you build the Univega!!!!!!?” Ha! :rofl:

when I picked up the bike originally, I wanted the wheels only. After I tripped over it for a few months, I thought building it would be cool…. Now I just am trying to thin out my inventory!

I’m super short on space. The frame is actually aluminum and is super light. Would be a super cool gravel bike, but I’ve got other projects in the pipeline.

The frame is actually aluminum and is super light. Would be a super cool gravel bike
That would be cool. You could polish it and have a slick gravel/cyclocross bike like Spindatt's Rawnstercross. It's a Specialized tri-cross frame tricked out. Check out Spindatt on Youtube, his videos are pretty fun.
1664240614858.png

That's one of the Travelers made only in 75 and 76 by Panasonic, then they were made by Giant and had a 3 piece crankset. I think Schwinn didn't want to highlight the origin so it came with Varsity one piece cranks. I bought a used one back in 1978 and rode it all the way from Tampa to Jacksonville over a 3 day period. It rode great. That's the same size and color as mine was, looks like the original seat, but mine had "Traveler" on the top tube. It gets my vote.

Latest posts

Back