June 28th! Ride the Air Line Trail!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NLCTVWguy

Rollin' on 20's
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sunday June 28th, the NLCCBC takes our show on the road with a field trip to nearby Colchester, CT. We will be riding on one of Connecticuts "Linear Parks", the Air Line Trail.

airline821.jpg

The Air Line is an old (1870's) rail bed that once linked Boston and New York. At the time, there was no complete shoreline route to take the entire distance, thanks mostly to the deep water at New London, where I live. To this day, that point features the tightest turn on the whole East Coast Amtrak line. The inland rail line has been abandoned since about 1955, and more recently has been resurfaced and opened to the public as a walking, jogging, bicycle and horse trail.

airline802.jpg

The state DOT now sponsors a system of biking trails, a lot of which are old railroads, throughout Connecticut. Most of this trail is a nice easy ride, with gentle hills and a smooth surface of fine crushed gravel. Street tires are just fine.

airline806.jpg

Bridges that have deteriorated have been replaced with nice wooden ones suitable for pedestrians and bikes, rather than steam engines. The DOT has done a great job making this accessible for a wide variety of recreational activities.

airline808.jpg

If you've never been out on it, make the trip- it's one of CT's hidden gems. Some of the old rail cuts and causeways are 100 ft high. Very impressive when you consider it was all built 50 years before the Diesel engine existed!

airline824.jpg

We will meet at 2:00PM, near Exit 16 of CT Route 2. Thats about half-way between Hartford and Norwich. There is a commuter parking lot just south of the highway. The trail enters the end of this lot. See my website for directions and more info:

http://www.bareiss.net/bikeride.html

As always, email [email protected] or call (860) 912 6882 for ride info, directions, questions, or to inquire about my favorite brand of beer.

Note to KOTA: If you come, and it rains, we will take refuge in Doug's garage, ogling his Harley chopper and drinking his beer instead. :!:

See you all there!

--Rob

airline828.jpg

This weekend! We will be leaving NL about 1PM to drive up, if anyone coming from the same direction wants to follow.

As usual, we'll give everyone about a half hour to get ready and plan to roll about 2:30 PM.

I expect we'll do about 10 miles round trip, not hard riding, just enough to get some exercise. For those that know the area or check it out on a map, we'll probably ride to the viaduct just past Bull Hill Road and then come back.

airline840.jpg

Load up the bikes and start heading this way! And we do have one little side trip to make, to see an unusual sight (can you make out what it is?)

airline841.jpg

Email me for arrangments, info, directions, to chat, whatever: [email protected] or call (860) 912 6882.

--Rob

NLCTVWguy said:
Note to KOTA: If you come, and it rains, we will take refuge in Doug's garage, ogling his Harley chopper and drinking his beer instead. :!:

Or we could skip the ride all together and just drink beer in my garage ogling my build off bike and my chopper! :D

ok I probably won't have a sweet vintage bike for this ride. Do you think 700x25 tires will cut it or are they just to darn skinny? I don't want to ride my MTB

Was a great day all, thanks to those who made it. I know the weather forecast was a little iffy but in the end the ride was beautiful, sun and clouds, warm but not hot, and so cool in those forest cuts through the bedrock!

Met some new folks, visited EJ599 in his chop shop, had a really nice day on the trail.

Pics will be up soon!

--Rob

ej599 said:
Or we could skip the ride all together and just drink beer in my garage ogling my build off bike and my chopper! :D

That would have been worth the ride down alone!.......Sorry I missed it. We just spent the weekend at New Hampshire Motor Speedway........Joey Logano, a CT native, got his first Nascar Sprint Cup win, at 19yrs. old!

wish I had been able to make this one. I was in SC visiting my Dad.

I really really hope I can make the July 5th ride. I've wanted to ride over the Gold Star Memorial since I was ten.

KOTA said:
ej599 said:

That would have been worth the ride down alone!.......Sorry I missed it. We just spent the weekend at New Hampshire Motor Speedway........Joey Logano, a CT native, got his first Nascar Sprint Cup win, at 19yrs. old!

They were nice and cold too! Oh well, maybe next time...... Did I mention how cold the beers were?
:p :p :p

JoeyMac said:
what's the july 5th ride? I should be around that day!

ride over the bridge; New London to Groton on road bikes. 2:00 PM. Not positive I'm going yet, but if I do I'll come pick you up.

You know before the R.R. Bike folks came down my road there was an old rusty bike down by the river that crosses my road (I know I went down to check it out myself) and now it's gone! :lol: Makes me wonder......Ha ha ha! That was our town sculpture.

And hey, I told you that other farm truck in the lot was probably the guy with the flat tires brother. I was right. There was a truck in town with farm plates years ago with 4 different size tires, no windshield and bullet holes in the body. That thing was scary cool.

Back