just a question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
udallcustombikes said:
Skiptooth up front and a standard pitch rear with every other tooth ground off will work. Just be sure the sprocket has an even number of teeth before you start grinding.
Methinks you misread the question. :|

mikesbikes36 said:
hey guys can i use a regular chain on a skip tooth sprocket ...will it be safe ? mike
:| I believe your first response to this post was correct.

You need a skip tooth chain and grind every other tooth off of a standard rear cog. A regular chain won't work with skip tooth anything..ever. Gary

I think the 1/2" pitch chain is a little narrower. But the problem you would run in to would be where the chain roller falls in relation to the teeth on the sprocket. The 1/2" measurement is the distance between the pins on the chain. A skip tooth chain has 2 pins closer than the next two pins. I don't know the exact distance between the pins, but I believe the distance between any one pin and the same corresponding pin on the next link is 1". So the inner plate link would be shorter than the outer plate link. I do not have any pics available at the moment so perhaps someone could post a side by side pic of both chains in question along with the pin to pin measurements for the skip tooth chain?

Latest posts

Back