Just another junk 3 speed......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Last Friday and Saturday I attended a professionally run estate sale where there were 4 bikes... First day they wanted way too much for the junk they had. Flat tires, rusty chrome, you know the drill. Second day, the same prices, according to the guy who was watching the bikes. I offered the lady up front a deal on the Mesa Runner I got (And am riding daily now) and she gladly took it.

Fast forward until Tuesday. I was out for a ride and saw a dumpster out front. I'm thinking....now they are going to toss the stuff they couldn't sell....and I was right. I left a note on the front door about the bikes that might still be left, and within an hour I got a call.

Anyhow, the worst bike of the lot was still there...and I got it for FREE. Just like the $20 Schwinn, dirty,rusty, and flat tires....and they also pumped right up at the local gas station! The three speed hub worked but the shifter didn't, and it made lots of squeaks going down the road..It is so ugly I fell in love.

I think I'm going to leave the grunge just the way it is. I like the idea of riding a total piece of junk (In everyone else's eyes, of course - we know better..) I fixed the shifter with a shot of PB tonight and rode it for half an hour. It has the most comfortable seat even though it looks like it would be horrendous. Turns out the guy I got it from rode it as a kid - He's 65. The hub says "60" so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's about a year younger than I am.

There's something to be said about using something for its intended purpose long after its owners gave up on it.

Enough ramblin' on.. Here's the HERCULES in all its rusty , twisted glory. (Yes, the fork is bent.)
IMG_0418_zps0y41hqn7.jpg

another beauty shot:
IMG_0408_zpsybmk9dbz.jpg

and the headbadge:
IMG_0417_zpsm4efp2js.jpg

I'm diggin' the headlight.. No switch and I haven't opened it up yet, but I'd like to make it LED and add a tail light of similar quality. I already got a 50 cent beep beep at another sale.

Yup, prob'ly only good for scrap metal........:thumbsup:

The lady is bringing me a much better junk bike from her house soon.. I can't wait. It sounds like an 18 speed hybrid.
It has flat tires, and rust, of course.

Dang, it sure looks better in pictures than in person.

Handlebars and seat will be properly adjusted after the PB gets a chance to soak in.
I definitely am replacing the grips.. the split one slid off on a hill and it could have been ugly.

So are the pedals on these English things standard threading? I'd like to get a set that isn't bent.

Great patina! You will like those bars better turned and the grips wont slide off! On a Raleigh I had the pedals were std 9/16 thd.
You know the old bikes with SA hubs are unappreciated - lots of these are cheap on the C/L around here (mostly girls models).
A little TLC and they come back very nice! Great story and pics too!

I had a little time today to finish up the adjustments and give it a bath...I managed to find a pair of black sparkle grips at a local shop, and got myself some nighttime lighting as I do tend to wander out at dusk quite often.

Still haven't pulled the front wheel , brakes, and fender to fix the fork. It rides pretty well without it. Plans are to fix it anyhow.

Today's beauty shot:

IMG_0508_zpslaii1qhy.jpg

In this one you can see the Mesa Runner that started the bikeaholism in full bloom again...
IMG_0509_zpsjqqc4ghm.jpg

Darn ad keeps losing my post when the page goes up...so pardon the typos, I'm posting before it does it again I hope.

Rear shot....I need a reflector housing and reflector if any still exist.. Mine is rock hard.

IMG_0510_zpsnpl4vpl9.jpg

Took it by the former owner's house today.. I think he was happy to see it.

After work I decided I had enough of that bent fork.. So I pulled the wheel and fender and brake to do a little back porch post tweaking.. It is surprising how easily these steel forks bend...

While I had the fender off I took a few whoopdedo's out of the edges and straightened the brace.
I bolted everything back together and dangit, it still stuck way out behind the tire. So, the brace got bent again..... I'm beginning to think someone put the wrong brace on it.

The fender still isn't fitting right but other than the braces having to be bent, it isn't that bad.
DSCN4587_zpszsufq54e.jpg

DSCN4588_zpsjrjzdnwo.jpg

I think I mighta put too much rake in it. Well, at least it rides straight and hands free is possible.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to make my own custom length brace to fit the "custom" fork. I'm digging the way the tire and fender fit now.

After work I decided I had enough of that bent fork.. So I pulled the wheel and fender and brake to do a little back porch post tweaking.. It is surprising how easily these steel forks bend...

While I had the fender off I took a few whoopdedo's out of the edges and straightened the brace.
I bolted everything back together and dangit, it still stuck way out behind the tire. So, the brace got bent again..... I'm beginning to think someone put the wrong brace on it.

The fender still isn't fitting right but other than the braces having to be bent, it isn't that bad.
DSCN4587_zpszsufq54e.jpg

DSCN4588_zpsjrjzdnwo.jpg

I think I mighta put too much rake in it. Well, at least it rides straight and hands free is possible.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to make my own custom length brace to fit the "custom" fork. I'm digging the way the tire and fender fit now.
man nice job!!! never know they were bent lookin good

The fork looks good. 1960 was the last year for Hercules before they were bought out by Raleigh. The big chrome fork crown and H on the chain wheel are more proof of that. They were still good bikes after that, made in Nottingham, but the Birmingham made bikes are higher quality IMO.

Thanks, guys! If we get the predicted soggy weather today I think I'll be either making a new fender brace or cleaning rust off brakes today. The screws that hold the levers to the bars are not tight enough but they won't turn.

It might be good to do some cleaning and regreasing too.

Latest posts

Back