Just got another car! PICS!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just got another car this morning. I love it, Kinda a project but all the legos are there just some assembly required...lol. Anyway it's a 1981 VW Rabbit Convertible Not a GTI but a clone with GTI engine and interior. Sitting in primer grey right now with 50% of the inside in pieces. Runs great, and for the price I can't complain. Traded my moped EVEN UP! I'll get pics later as my cam likes to eat batteries left and right. Any ideas on what to do with it? I am kinda thinking of going satin black with the red GTI stripe around the grill. Then black out the American racing rims it's got on it now.

Any other V-dub lovers out there?

Re: Just got another car!

Here's a few pics of my new toy. Body is really solid for a 30 year old Indiana car. I started on the paint and did a few small things today like painting the grill and hand painting the emblem on the back to see how it's going to look when it's done. Nothing fancy just a rattle can job but it'll look good when I'm done. Also cleaned up the American racing rims it has on it. I figure for the moped I gave for it I got my money back double just on the rims. It was in primer when I got it so the overspray on the top was not my doing.

P7120089.jpg

P7120088.jpg

P7120092.jpg

bicycleguy said:
Nice car! I'd slam it on coilovers like stanceworks or hellaflush cars. 8)

I was actually thinking of doing something like that but around here in Indiana we have pot holes that could swallow VW's...lol. If I had the money I'd put air ride on it but I'm working on a rattle-can budget so probably just leave it stock and maybe powder-coat the rims black and leave the outer part of the rims with the brushed aluminum look. Or do the whole rim black with a thin red line around the outer edge. Euro headlights, Maybe a rusty hood, Lots of ideas going through my head for it just looking for the right inspiration and don't want to copycat someone else's ride. Here are a few ideas I'm thinking about.

This truck is just awesome!
Vw_golf_mk1_by_Oscar_Weijden.jpg

I kinda like the agressive look of this body kit but again with the pot holes here and low budget.
18017_32757.jpg

I really like the use of color here.
5877671960_84b81fd0d1_z.jpg

Here's what I'm thinking on the rims.
golf.jpg

Maybe a rusty hood.
2655818776_8ce6d8b116_z.jpg

Really thinking of getting this decal as a template and going all black with a rusty corner. I don't think it's been done before and it would be a subtle way to step out of the box.
$(KGrHqF,!g0E5oUKeqDDBOlGf35IC!~~60_12.GIF

MagicRat said:
A RABBIT!

I remember when they were new and baby blue at our local V Dub dealer.

Awesome, I wish you had pictures of that. I did find one of the original adds for the Rabbit, it only cost $2,999 new,
I'm sure the drop top was more, Boy times change don't they?

r_vw_rabbit_1975.jpg

:mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: I bet with a few small tweeks I could make it fit....lol. If only I had a few million laying around.
VW-W12-Engine-Bay.jpg

Latest posts

Back