Just picked - Monark, Hawthorne and Columbia Pics added!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me and a buddy of mine just went picking today from a guys who deals with a lot of car parts. He had 5 or 6 old bikes laying around that we picked up. I was able to pick up a Monark Silver King and a Columbia, my buddy picked up a pre-war skip-tooth Hawthorne. Really decent shape for their age. Don't know too much about the Monark other than it looks like an old board tracker with the handlebars flipped over, long square tank sits between the backbone and the downtube. Springer front end with a headlight and a beehive tailight on the rear fender. The columbia and the Hawthorne look almost original. The Hawthorned has a really cool headlight that reminds me of the E & J (Edmunds & Jones) aftermarket headlights from the 30's I don' t have pics of the bikes as it was too dark and the bikes have been relegated to the shed for now. I will post pics soon as I know this thread is useless without pics :lol:

Pretty stoked about the bikes, don't know too much about the years, may need some help from you guys identifying the years and models .

Here is a pic of the pre-war Hawthorne. Cool paint job with the stars and ligthing bolt which looks like the stock paint job. Anybody have any Hawthorne information?

165699_490781027615_87094912615_6160419_1686416_n.jpg

Fryguy

1941 was the Year they used That Rear Side light Rack.with battery pack in it...I just parted a Ladys bike with Same Rack.Is that what Yours has..VBC

The Hawthorne is the All American model, which was the top of the line Hawthorne in 1940 and 1941. All Americans were produced by both Cleveland Welding and H.P. Snyder for Montgomery Ward and the easiest way to tell which one this is, is to look at the frame’s upper rear fender bridge; if it is strait it is a Cleveland Welding built bike, if it is arched then the bike was built by Snyder. There were several variations produced over the run and the serial number on the bottom bracket will help pin down the date of production.

These bikes are relatively rare (three or four of these bikes have turned up on this site in the past couple of years and this is the first one with a tank) and fairly valuable, the tank in particular is unique to this model and quite hard to find. This bike in not in original paint and the pattern is not the one of the original patterns used. Some of the parts have also been lost or replaced (chain guard and headlight) over time but most of the hardest stuff, (tank and saddle) is present and looks to be in good shape.

Latest posts

Back