Kaiju

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The position that most TT bikes , dedicated or clip on, have the brake levers is under the end of the main bar facing down, so you can easily switch between bar end shifting and same position braking. The extension is just for that wide open, top speed aero position.

These bars are the closest example I could find to yours. Notice how the brake housing is run under the tape for a really stealth and clean look.

View attachment 217765
That is what I thought too. So now I've got to find some nice but inexpensive levers... I wonder if I have the originals around here somewhere?

Shiny...
IMG_20221122_090712.jpg
IMG_20221122_090724.jpg

I thought about it and I do have the originals and they're old center pull levers. They ain't gonna work...

Also... Since the original frame had a tall head tube, they hung the cable stop from the crown, but with my stem low there's not much room to bend the cable. So I think I've got a nice solution using a seat clincher pulley hanging sideways from the stem pinch bolt, pointing to the left lever side of course. It has the cable stop built in and will give me around 4" of clearance to the brake pull. WIP. Pics soon.

Got lettering in, but the "KAIJU" is supposed to be 1" and I have no idea what the middle set are about. I'm guessing they sent me a mistake as a bonus but I'm not sure the smallest set will even fit.
IMG_20221126_120310.jpg

So my buddy @OddJob hooked me up with some Dia-Comp brake levers that were just what I needed. After considerable fiddling around with the clamps and decisions on the shifters, this is where I'm at. I've got sheath but I'm waiting on shifter cable. I've got tons of brake cable. I was going to shift forward but all in would foul the brake levers. So the shift cable feeds in from the topside.
IMG_20221128_200259.jpg
IMG_20221128_200236.jpg
IMG_20221128_201240.jpg

Should all work out fine. Thanks OJ.

So my buddy @OddJob hooked me up with some Dia-Comp brake levers that were just what I needed. After considerable fiddling around with the clamps and decisions on the shifters, this is where I'm at. I've got sheath but I'm waiting on shifter cable. I've got tons of brake cable. I was going to shift forward but all in would foul the brake levers. So the shift cable feeds in from the topside.
View attachment 218466View attachment 218467View attachment 218468
Should all work out fine. Thanks OJ.
That's a cool arrangement 👍

Glad they worked out, Carl! You could run them with the levers pointing back too, but then the hoods might still get in the way of the shifting. And you'd lose your 'all in one' braking / shifting position on the bars.

SkiNny oN ~!

Glad they worked out, Carl! You could run them with the levers pointing back too, but then the hoods might still get in the way of the shifting. And you'd lose your 'all in one' braking / shifting position on the bars.

SkiNny oN ~!
Oh I tried them that way but the cables are expected to run a certain direction by the slots in the case and I need them to follow the bars, so now I'm just waiting on the black Newbaum's wrap to arrive. Thanks again!

So it's brrrrr cold in my garage (ask me how fun it was to put a battery in my kids car) guess it's time to bring it in to work on it. Got cables to run. I've been waiting on shifter cables but the moron I ordered from (now who's the moron?) Sent me brake cables that I have plenty of... So can I make a 4mm barrel head shifter end out of a big honkin' brake cable nub? Maybe. Runnin' short on time. C'mon c'mon c'mon...
IMG_20221222_202943.jpg

Not much snow for a blizzard but biting cold and WIND CHILL.
IMG_20221223_180610.jpg

Also have a makeshift guitar repair going on too.

Last edited:
Running cables and watching NASCAR running at Bristol. Used all used cables and at least 4 different kinds of covers. You know it's a rat racer. Still want to apply the vinyl lettering and wrap the bars with some black Newbaum's cloth wrap tonight, but I stopped to take a few pics and a breather.
IMG_20221226_191826.jpg
IMG_20221226_191848.jpg
IMG_20221226_191904.jpg
IMG_20221226_191920.jpg
IMG_20221226_191936.jpg
IMG_20221226_191952.jpg
IMG_20221226_192009.jpg
IMG_20221226_192020.jpg

I'm loving your work space!
Thanks. That raggedy "coffee table" is a dining table that has had it's legs cut down. Served my kids well growing up and building Lego empires in the playroom. After they were grown it moved into the living room as the coffee table. I rebuild guitars on it, rebuild bikes on it and it just about fits anything I want to do on it. My living room is pretty much the heart of my man cave of a house. Behind me in most of the photos, to the left of the lazy boy in others are my amplifiers (4 rigs) in the smaller part of the L shaped living room. Some would call it a breakfast nook, it's my jam nook.

Just the name piqued my interest…I sat through a Godzilla marathon a few Saturdays ago. Very intrigued by how this will turn out

Roller.
IMG_20230102_202158.jpg
IMG_20230102_202207.jpg
IMG_20230102_202217.jpg

Also freakishly fast, leaning so far out it feels like you're falling forward (to think I almost ran a 26" front in place of the 700!) The disc has a unique sound to it. All in all it feels geared tall so that's probably some of the rush. There's going to be a learning curve for sure to really feel safe on it. Stops on a dime too. #thankfully

Latest posts

Back