Klunker questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
OK..... I'm thinking about trying this for the first time. I have a chrome Huffy silver jet bike missing all the fun parts (tank, chain guard, rack) so I was figuring of klunking it for fun. My questions are..

1)how do I install a mountain bike crank/chain wheel into the bottom bracket of an old bike

2)How do I know what size fork to use in terms of proper head tube length

3)Are true klunkers one speed or multi speed?

Thanks for any help!

To install a european threaded bottom bracket and crank set into an american size non threaded bottom bracket you need an american to euro adapter or you can use a bmx square taper bottom bracket conversion kit

if your original fork is in good shape you can probly use that... if you want to replace the fork you'll need a 1 inch threaded steering tube long enough for your headtube. usually this means getting 1 that's actually longer and cutting it down to fit

Klunkers with gears are called hybrids... Klunkers that are single speed are usually call bombers but both types are klunkers

Bendix said:

Awesome site about clunkers from the man himself, Alan Bonds

Great for info on how to build an era correct, purist type clunker

It can be pretty expensive to do it that way, though...

Building a "Klunker style" bike in the same spirit as the originals is also fun - and can certainly be more affordable

I love the klunker look. I built them but with street tires since I don't usually take them off road. I called them urban klunkers. I also like to run an internal 3 speed hub.

it's good. must've been temporary. :wink:

axsepul said:
I love the klunker look. I built them but with street tires since I don't usually take them off road. I called them urban klunkers. I also like to run an internal 3 speed hub.

x2

with that silver jet you wont have a good way to mount a rear derailleur so go with the three speed hub. also, silver jets are kind of flimsy frames. I should know, i ride one every day. I havn't broke anything riding off curbs but I wouldn't recommend beating on it too hard.

Latest posts

Back