Kngtmat Find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a sears Spaceliner that is newer than the frame I got from Double Nickle but someone did a custom job on this one maybe the 90's but I think is was done in the 80's in OD green, it has a tank but not an original though but I don't know from what bike, and someone made it multiple speeds that are Shimano Eagle & Shimano Touring on the brakes, tires have dry rot the front I don't know what tire and the rear has something then I think slickrock 26 x 2 20 35.

Any info might help. 502 469431 27985
PICT1130.jpg

PICT1132.jpg

PICT1131.jpg

PICT1135.jpg

PICT1136.jpg

PICT1144.jpg

PICT1133.jpg

Wow! I LIKE it. Somebody put a lot of time into that bike. I've seen a number of tank adaptations for a Spaceliner, but never one like that. If you can get everything working right, you'd have a GREAT "klunker". I especially like the bars and the dual rear brakes........UH, I'd sell the tank, IMO Spaceliner frames are beautiful "tank less". I'm sure somebody here would buy it..........NICE score!

thats frikin awesome!! first spaceliner klunker I've seen.. :shock: give it a few and someone will be askin about that tank...... :lol:

Old to bikes but new to some of the terms for them, what is a Klunker?

Any info on the year of the bike it is a I guess you can call it a 7 shaped second generation tank, about any of the parts with what they may have come from or how old, what is the tank from, was it a springer or were those busted pieces of something else?

The tank has a few things with it, a little bit bent with a little split on the bottom edge on the side you see in the pic, has a horn but the wires are no good with an old blue & white radioshack D-cell battery, the handlebars I have never seen before.

Thanks guys

Rat Rod said:
A Klunker is the name given to the original mountain bikes that were created in Marin County, CA back in the 70s.

Guy's like Joe Breeze, Gary Fisher, Alan Bonds, Charlie Kelly, Tom Ritchey are some of the pioneers of the sport and they created the Klunker.

You can watch the trailer for the documentary called "KLUNKERZ" here:

http://www.klunkerz.com/trailer-1.html

You can check out some of Alan Bonds bikes here:

http://clunkers.net/

green_01.jpg

garyf.jpg

viewforum.php?f=28

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Klunker stuff!

Thats really cool, I noticed the very small chainring lol. one thing I think was a cool idea is the Stem shifters. look much better this way, the person who did this had great talent!

Sorry they say Shimano Tourney on the brakes not Touring.

Any help on the years of the non original parts on the bike or what bike they came on originally like the handlebars?

I noticed that small chainring too, kind of looks weird to me being so far away from the other two so whats with that.

Old (maybe '70's? '80's?) generic mid-grade brakes and bottom shelf shift-gear. Not valuable cash wise, but useful universal mounting and basic function for such applications as shown.

Looks like a Cleveland Welding or Huffman tank. And it looks like that's a deluxe chrome frame Spaceliner, shame it's painted over! There should be a stamping on the brake arm side rear dropout, with numbers and codes that sometimes can tell the year, and what store they were built for. Murray built this style bike for Sears, Western Auto, JC Penney, and a few others as well as their own badge. -Adam

Sweet. I love it. The top cap on the Bullmoose bars is dope. Pure industrial. The double rear brake and all seems reminiscent of the work of the Morrow Dirt Club, but Spaceliners weren't ideal for what they were up to. I rode with Russ Mahon one time and he was riding a very similar set-up, thematically. His was built up with a post=war Schwinn Phantom-type canti frame. It was all murdered-out Olive Drab. Where the button for the horn would go on the tank, he had the brass end of a shotgun shell. I like the toggle to nowhere on this one. Maybe it for the rocket launcher? :mrgreen: Nice score, but I wouldn't jump it too high.
SavageStumpjump_2.jpg

Cool, that's what the bars are called, I will search for info about them, I thought the switch was for to turn the horn on or off so it wouldn't make a sound if you accidently hit the button.

It has a a Delta horn and the battery was duct taped to the horn setup with a wire on the switch that someone attached what looks like a brown powercord to the original wires that was duct taped too to the tank.

Do you or anyone think if a sent emails with pics to any of those clubs that did that stuff if I find what they are and if maybe any of them know who might have done this bike?

I am thinking of making it back to a single speed again because they put that rear hub and cassette on and the tire is rubbing on the frame especially those tires since they are a bigger than 26x 2.25 I think which is a part of the problem, the paint flakes off too, plus I like single speed more anyway unless I could someday trade for one that is that way already without paint on the chrome & coaster but will be cheaper to to get a coaster brake for it or take the paint off than to do that.

I think the wheels are original except for the hub & cassette of course.

I, like others, quickly noticed the small low gear on the front 3 speed, that's quite a jump for the derailer, would be one heck of a gear change.

I too would put this back to a single speed coaster, I've got enough multi-speed road bikes and mountain bikes, until I live on the side of a mountain I won't be building any clunkers. Don't get me wrong, they are cool, I just prefer to cruise on older iron.

Glad someone mentioned some Spaceliners were produced by Murray, because when I saw that dropout all I could think about was my Murray cruiser.

I was glad it was made by Murray too, because they are by far the best of the bike makes that I have used most.

Maybe anyone would know of any Klunker bike creator used or uses USAR 42 which was put on the side of the tank or bike itself?

Also I am trading the tank, it is going to one of the members here that lives close by me whenever I get the chance to see them about it.

Latest posts

Back