Kool Orange paint

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NLCTVWguy

Rollin' on 20's
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just curious if anyone has found a good department store/hardware store alternative to Schwinn's Kool Orange color.

I'll be painting complete frames soon. I'm not looking to cut Pete out of the business, but $20 per rattle-can is a lot, and shipping's a killer these days for anything.

Gonna be doing a Schwinn Fastback and a '68 Orange Krate, both bare-metal frame-up jobs. I have a local auto-paint store that'll put paint in cans like the Hyper-formance paint, but I don't know how you'd get the paint code or mix info. I suppose you could just pick out the best looking orange from samples.

Any ideas, let me know!

--=={{Rob}}==--

will cost some money but find a dupont retailer for auto paints. if you have something that is close to what you want take it to them they can use this super keen camera that reads the color and will print the paint code for you. if you dont have something you can take to them to match it will be a lil harder to do but they should get you really close to what your looking for.

i will look to see what i can find out to help you out

mike

There is a Rustoleum home decor orange that is pretty decent if I remember right.

If you look in the CBN build off thread from last year (summer), a guy who goes by Solrac had an orange bike entered and the paint he used was from a rattle can. The bike looked great.

Tractor Supply Corp has different tractor colors in rattle can too, perhaps an Allis Chalmers orange would fit your needs.

I have used an orange from Krylon that was decent too (color wise). I used it over a white base coat. I used it on a wooden sign, so I can not comment on it durability for used on a frame.

Back