Krusty Kargo

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wow, what a journey RRBBO5 has been.
I decided to build this bike for the build-off, because it probably would have sat around untouched for another couple of years otherwise. Progress was going pretty well, but we had a tragedy in our family with my wife's mother having a stroke and sadly passing away. Needless to say, playing with bikes was very low on the agenda. For a while, I didn't think I would finish this before the deadline, and only really started back on it very recently. The original plan was to build a vintage style timber box, but I ended up using a fibreglass roadcase that I've had sitting around for 20 years or so. The timber box will be built and fitted at a later time, as well as a headlight, but I'm pretty happy with the finished product as it stands now.

Link to build thread: http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=26166

Here's some specs/details:

Frame - 1937 Malvern Star Express Waggon

Box - Fibreglass Roadcase that used to house a Simmons electric drum kit (They were huge in the 80's, but yuck!!). The case actually has a bit of history as well. The kit used to belong to the drummer from an Aussie band called Icehouse, who were very popular in Australia, and also had success internationally, so the case has travelled the world.
A friend of mine who makes signs and stickers as a sideline made the "Krusty Kola" stickers for me, and I found the umbrella at a local hardware warehouse. The steering bar is a bathroom towel rack.

Wheels - Sun Rims Double Wide on the front and EQ31 on the rear. The front hubs are Suzue harness racing buggy hubs, and the rear is a NOS Favorit.

Tyres - Maxxis Holy Rollers.

Cranks - Old Shimano road bike cranks fitted with vintage MKS pedals.

Bottom Bracket - Sealed Shimano.

Brake Strap - Piece of chain.

Rear light - Modified 59 Caddy tail light.

Seat - Brooks B17 Standard.

Bell - Free from LBS and fitted with a B&M shift lever.

Here's the pics.

Before
IMGA0647.jpg

After
Picture047.jpg

Picture060.jpg

Picture043.jpg

Picture048.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture037.jpg

Picture062.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Picture077.jpg

Picture051.jpg

Picture076.jpg

Riding pic
Picture018.jpg

Happy customer
Picture083.jpg

Having a breather and a Krusty Kola
Picture089.jpg

Super cool man.... I need me a Krusty!

Thanks for all the kind words, fellow ratrodders. I'm really happy with how this has turned out.
This thing is a hoot to ride as well, and once you get used to the steering, it's quite nimble....even got a bit of two wheel action yesterday afternoon :) .

I'm at a loss for word's!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
(Forum friendly words at least)
FRIGG'N COO!

gowjobs said:
Wow! Icehouse? That takes me back a few years.

Great build! How Krusty are those colas?

Nice and Krusty :D .

Yeah, Icehouse were using the same company for their sound and lighting as my band used. I'd mentioned previously to the front of house guy that I was looking for a set of electronic drums and he came back off tour with the Simmons kit for me.
Hated the drums and flipped them pretty quickly (the Icehouse sticker on the kick drum helped me turn a tidy profit too!), but the guy who bought them didn't want the roadcase.....lucky for me 8) .

Latest posts

Back