La Fugazi

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great combo of parts and color.

I fitted the skirt guard, took a photo, debated whether I should keep it, removed it and stuck it in one of my parts boxes.

To me it doesn’t look right on this bike.

0A3971E3-3780-46B4-A022-6C0132746F04.jpeg

The skirts don’t look bad, but I think you made the right decision in keeping them off. Just doesn’t need them. It’s looking great!
Thanks. I think the skirts look cooler if the seat post is set low. I decided its not the look I wanted for the bike as it draws your attention to it over some of the other details.

I even debated over the fenders but after i saw how the tire filled the rear fender i decided to keep them. Its got a simple hot rod look to the whole package and rides great.

I would have liked a sleek torpedo light on the front fender but they’re unavailable in Australia and it would take a few weeks to get here in the mail.

7531B5F1-80AB-4F17-A367-4EFD14005837.jpeg
616E874C-E2DE-4526-82DE-78B0D6FAC1B5.jpeg
024BD0F2-3948-4E98-A3CF-B5EEEBF67D96.jpeg

F8B18CE8-CCDB-4F5A-8E88-483CB505201D.jpeg

Last edited:
Good call on the skirt. I think it looks great on there, but I felt it was going to be odd to have it one-sided. The build looks awesome without it. Just an awesome mix of old and new (even though the "new" part is transparent). The lines of that frame just have an awesome old vibe to it. Great build!

Thanks. I think the skirts look cooler if the seat post is set low. I decided its not the look I wanted for the bike as it draws your attention to it over some of the other details.

I even debated over the fenders but after i saw how the tire filled the rear fender i decided to keep them. Its got a simple hot rod look to the whole package and rides great.

I would have liked a sleek torpedo light on the front fender but they’re unavailable in Australia and it would take a few weeks to get here in the mail.

View attachment 207211View attachment 207212View attachment 207213
View attachment 207214
Very clean, very tidy, just a gorgeous build. Color me jealous

Thank you. I’ll get some final photos done in the next few days when the weather clears. Meanwhile I need to catch up on all the other great builds.

Last edited:
I haven’t been able to take my final photos as the weather has been miserable so I assembled this WTP Avenger for a friend who wants to get back on a bike.

I had the frame laying around and got it sandblasted and powdercoated a while ago.

The fork is from a Schwinn and wheels from a lady’s Electra I snagged last year for about $30. The only other Avenger parts are the handlebar, sprocket and rear brakes.

The weather is improving tomorrow so I’ll be able to get the photos for La Fugazi sorted.
8A841B7F-1041-4951-BFF7-3D7D4FF05DAD.jpeg
C9975BE8-1162-4AA7-BBBE-D34517431AE2.jpeg

All done at last.

The blurb from my finished thread.

I named my first build off bike La Fugazi, which means a fake in American Italian slang. My goal was to build a replica of a prewar American balloon tire bike using a 1998 Trek Cruiser Classic frame and parts taken from the bikes of two of my favourite manufacturers, the Cleveland Welding Company and Murray. The frame has styling cues from the 1939 Roadmaster Supreme and a common Columbia bike. It is a credit to the designers at Trek not only because it has the vibe of a vintage frame but also because it is beautifully welded, lightweight and rides great.

Sourcing vintage parts for these bikes downunder is impossible and shipping is expensive so I tried using parts I already had. I bought the Elgin skirt guards and chainguard during the build and ultimately only used the chainguard. The fork, truss rods and chainguard are from a prewar Lady’s Elgin bike made by Murray and the fenders were spares I got when I bought my ’39 Roadmaster. I decided to use the slick Elgin fork over the Shockmaster I had as I prefer rigid forks on my rides. One thing I never liked about this frame was the weird looking top part of the seat mast, so I shortened it by a couple of inches.

The frame and vintage parts were sandblasted. I primed them in red oxide primer and chose Ford engine dark blue and Wimbledon White for the final colors, using more rattle cans than I care to remember. Along the way I discovered the awesomeness of 3M’s vinyl masking tape for the white accents. I swiped the wheels from my daughter’s unused Electra Gigi. Melbourne, Australia has a number of steep hills and the Nexus 3 speed and front roller brake attached to Gigi’s rims add versatility, speed and braking power. The chromoly Al’s Rapid Transit cruiser bars feed into a classic Ashtabula stem. I used an ACS chain with silver and black links similar to those of a Diamond skip tooth chain. It rides on sticky, fast rolling Tioga Powerblock tires with old school hot rod white lettering. I’m 6’2 and the layback seat post adds a heap of room to the short cockpit and a Brooks B67 saddle irons out the bumps. I fitted the reproduction Torrington pedals from a bike I’m not riding and added a nicer Trek head badge and an original Cleveland licence plate as a mark of respect to CWC and Murray who were based in Ohio.

I’ve had a great time during this build. The challenges of being struck down with covid and a number of other nasty winter viruses, a 4 week vacation in Greece and spraying outdoors in winter allowed me the time to reflect and change things along the way. I believe this is the best bike I have ever built. Many thanks those who provided help and encouragement. I would like to give special thanks to my beautiful wife who cuts me all the time I need to maintain my OCD (obsessive cycle disorder) and my buddy Yngwe for truing my wheels. Watching all these cool builds come alive has provided me with hours of entertainment and a stack of ideas for future builds. I now feel more connected to this fantastic forum. Peace and fun to all.

71628890-0818-4363-B79F-A78A11DB249B.jpeg

61C87B7A-D9E2-43D0-8642-32CE8BB514BD.jpeg
F529A071-BA31-4BBB-BF78-9C7AFDA5DBEB.jpeg
F63927E3-D74F-4905-93A4-234B72ADB2F0.jpeg
5493C53F-25F8-4586-8222-8A4634A15372.jpeg

DC3AE79B-AB67-4407-9D46-1A011F918EA5.jpeg
7D06CFBB-C4BE-4DE4-8C6E-AF0A48A01943.jpeg

7BE84CA6-0139-40E9-9A25-9602D3C09FA9.jpeg

0281A280-6991-41B5-88BB-0101A1CC5EEA.jpeg
40202ED7-97F9-4357-9B1B-8FAFF4310431.jpeg

Before pics below, taken when I bought it last year.
60121A4C-A40F-473E-B8BB-AF866F7AFA22.jpeg

3868CC8D-F67D-4DF0-886B-4EFFAE42D937.jpeg

Last edited:
All done at last.

The blurb from my finished thread.

I named my first build off bike La Fugazi, which means a fake in American Italian slang. My goal was to build a replica of a prewar American balloon tire bike using a 1998 Trek Cruiser Classic frame and parts taken from the bikes of two of my favourite manufacturers, the Cleveland Welding Company and Murray. The frame has styling cues from the 1939 Roadmaster Supreme and a common Columbia bike. It is a credit to the designers at Trek not only because it has the vibe of a vintage frame but also because it is beautifully welded, lightweight and rides great.

Sourcing vintage parts for these bikes downunder is impossible and shipping is expensive so I tried using parts I already had. I bought the Elgin skirt guards and chainguard during the build and ultimately only used the chainguard. The fork, truss rods and chainguard are from a prewar Lady’s Elgin bike made by Murray and the fenders were spares I got when I bought my ’39 Roadmaster. I decided to use the slick Elgin fork over the Shockmaster I had as I prefer rigid forks on my rides. One thing I never liked about this frame was the weird looking top part of the seat mast, so I shortened it by a couple of inches.

The frame and vintage parts were sandblasted. I primed them in red oxide primer and chose Ford engine dark blue and Wimbledon White for the final colors, using more rattle cans than I care to remember. Along the way I discovered the awesomeness of 3M’s vinyl masking tape for the white accents. I swiped the wheels from my daughter’s unused Electra Gigi. Melbourne, Australia has a number of steep hills and the Nexus 3 speed and front roller brake attached to Gigi’s rims add versatility, speed and braking power. The chromoly Al’s Rapid Transit cruiser bars feed into a classic Ashtabula stem. I used an ACS chain with silver and black links similar to those of a Diamond skip tooth chain. It rides on sticky, fast rolling Tioga Powerblock tires with old school hot rod white lettering. I’m 6’2 and the layback seat post adds a heap of room to the short cockpit and a Brooks B67 saddle irons out the bumps. I fitted the reproduction Torrington pedals from a bike I’m not riding and added a nicer Trek head badge and an original Cleveland licence plate as a mark of respect to CWC and Murray who were based in Ohio.

I’ve had a great time during this build. The challenges of being struck down with covid and a number of other nasty winter viruses, a 4 week vacation in Greece and spraying outdoors in winter allowed me the time to reflect and change things along the way. I believe this is the best bike I have ever built. Many thanks those who provided help and encouragement. I would like to give special thanks to my beautiful wife who cuts me all the time I need to maintain my OCD (obsessive cycle disorder) and my buddy Yngwe for truing my wheels. Watching all these cool builds come alive has provided me with hours of entertainment and a stack of ideas for future builds. I now feel more connected to this fantastic forum. Peace and fun to all.

View attachment 208896
View attachment 208897View attachment 208898View attachment 208899View attachment 208900
View attachment 208904View attachment 208903
View attachment 208902
View attachment 208905View attachment 208901
DY984SdWAAAh1fo.jpg

Latest posts

Back