Lace Panel Paint job

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Since I posted my paint job on the Invalid project http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=65536 I have got numerous messages asking how its done. So here it is. To see the origination on panel jobs google Watson style paint jobs

The first thing to do is to get your frame into a good primer. I prefer SEM High build. It goes on thick, dries quick and sands easily.
555780_500991006624801_1423887657_n.jpg

Next I layed out the paint job. I layed out the panles with 1/8" tape then wrapped the outside of that in 1/4" before taping off the rest. The 1/8" is bright blue, the 1/4" light green.
563203_500991129958122_296884236_n.jpg

Next I painted the panel insert with a low build black primer. You can use high build but it mean more time wet sanding.
480449_500990976624804_488636896_n.jpg

When it all dries I pull all the tape except the 1/8" and wet sand with 1500. Be careful around the tape not to lift the edges. I am looking for a smooth panel at this point and not worrying about the panel edges.

Find the design of lace you want to use. Make sure the voids in the material are big enough to shoot primer/paint through. Wrap the lace around what you are painting whether tube or flat. Tube is easier as you can pull the lace very tight then I use binder clips to hold it in place. The lace has to be TIGHT or the flow from the primer/paint your shooting will lift it and make your design messy. I refer to paint / primer because you can use either as long as the top color coat wont freak out over whatever paint your using. Use light coats and let it dry in between. Only paint one lace area at a time, you dont want overspray on other panels.
You just want it to get it solid, any build up will keep you wet sanding deep into the night.

***Note. I great way to mask over things is tin foil. Its fast easy and formable.

My hands were full spraying through the lace so I didnt get a pic of this part but here is the final product for this step.
563057_500990939958141_1639995378_n.jpg

Once this is all dry you can pull all the tape. Be careful not to lift any of the edges of the paint when you pull the tape. Now go turn the stereo up with something good like Carlos and the Banditos and get a pail of warm clean water. Soak your 1500 grit sand paper in the water for a few minutes and start sanding lightly. The goal here is to remove any imperefections and to knock the edges of the panels down. Because you have built up layers of primer getting it smooth and flat is impossible without destroying the design but the edges of the panel will be the most noticable so work on those areas more.

At this point you are ready for color. You have to use a candy to get the lace effect. It needs to be a tinted but transparent paint (candy). For this paint job I used Lil' Daddy Roths tangerine candy with metalflake http://www.rothmetalflake.com . Build up the paint with a light coat followed by even medium coats. You cant spray candy in a heavy coat because of the ease of it running which will throw the color off (dark patches).
this is post one light coat and 3 medium coats.
65261_500991073291461_1932231740_n.jpg

you can also get the same effect with latex die cut stickers like seen here. I got these stickers here on the board from Axsepul and they worked great.
542380_4716106775217_1022022534_n.jpg

when all is dry you can bury everything in several heavy coats of clear. I like the Duplicolor Professional Laquer Clear. Its heavy enough not to run but still flows well.
Once dry, you can do a final wet sand, anothe coat of clear then buff.

Latest posts

Back