Lacing a 28 hole hub to a 32 hole rim? Can it be done?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a 28 hole rear hub(drum brake) and don't want to buy a new rim. Can I lace it to a 32 hole rim? I thought I read somewhere it is possible. I know it wouldn''t look quite right, but who cares.

I know it's possible to leave some empty holes on the hub, but I've never seen it done with empty holes on the rim. You would probably have to leave those 4 holes equally spaced from each other, in a cross or X pattern. But if you leave one hole empty between two spokes, then one of those spokes will be inserted into a hole on the rim that will point the wrong way out. Hhhhmmmmmm...

I'm guessing it can be done if you have wheel trueing skills and if the rim holes are nearly identical to each other (they don't "point out" much).

Hugo

Cman,Even "IF" it could be done...some of your spokes might now be too long because of a different pattern,puncturing the tube OR some not long enough to fully thread the spoke nipple.

I'd take the easy way out and try to find the 28 hole rims.

Back