NEW build "Dynamo" previously Lady Godiva

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a monark ladies frame and a bent up monark springer that I plan on turning into a bare metal chopper

20230502_144857.jpg

Changing my build off bike go to page 2 and see the progress on Dynamo
20230714_162900.jpg

Last edited:
1683078236865.png

Will there be chocolate involved?

I'm in, either way of course. RaT oN~!

Soon
but 1st Extend extend (the fork that is)

Looking to stretch it about 6 or 7 inches without cutting up the fork
I have a few idea to work on so there will not be much updating till that gets done 1st
20230503_142149.jpg

Also have to straighten the forks and headtube
20230503_142024.jpg

OddJob

Will there be chocolate involved?

I'm in, either way of course. RaT oN~!

Current plan is to run black rims and spokes so you could say that's the dark chocolate part
or maybe some chocolate color leather parts

kingfish254

1683078236865.png

ingola

Bare metal is hard but so worth the work 👍

After fork then yes both then the frame and fork will be getting the bare naked treatment

Last edited:
Still having analysis paralysis with my fork stretching options but the i did get an idea for the rear setup
I know that I want either an 18" or 20" rear tire and a lowered rear
after mocking up a few ideas I have decided to repurpose a 20" springer fork to help achieve the look I'm after
20230510_104617.jpg

20230510_104642.jpg

Any body who follows my builds knows how I like repurposing items
this one is a bit similar to when i made a floating banana seat on one of my muscle build off bikes rapid transit system
e8314a073973dbdabb3987edca91d541.jpg

Last edited:
Still having analysis paralysis with my fork stretching options but the i did get an idea for the rear setup
I know that I want either an 18" or 20" rear tire and a lowered rear
after mocking up a few ideas I have decided to repurpose a 20" springer fork to help achieve the look I'm after
View attachment 231835
View attachment 231836

Any body who follows my builds knows how I like repurposing items
this one is a bit similar to when i made a floating banana seat on one of my muscle build off bikes rapid transit system
View attachment 231848
Dude, that seat extension is the best I've ever seen. It's not clunky and unusual looking like everything else I've spotted. It flows so smoothly.

I cut up the base of the springer headtube
20230512_161744.jpg

Then attached it to the kickstand location location of the monark frame
Will add 2nd bolt hole to stabilize later

20230512_162106.jpg

Then threw on the other springer parts to get a rough mock up
Definitely need to get some new bolts, nuts, and spacers
Plus need to work out one or two more attachment points
Measured out roughly a 5 inch drop in the rear
Will get accurate measurement once I get it all bolted up properly

20230512_164642.jpg

Last edited:

LukeTheJoker

That looks awesome! Can you get the bars wide enough to fit a rear wheel in, or is some massaging of the frame needed?

I don't know how well you can see it in this picture but there is a good amount of room on both sides without resorting to any massaging
but that is with a standard 2.125 wide tire
a 3" wide might either require massaging or running the bars on the outside of the frame
still working on extra mounting areas once i get that figured out i can show if the bars will stay in between the rear frame or on the outside

20230517_162629.jpg

GeePig

Do you have any really short crank arms for the pedals?

I do have a set of crank arms from a juvenile monark bike that are 1" shorter than standard crank arms
if it turns out that isn't enough clearance then I will employ a similar method for relocating the bottom bracket without welding like I did in my build off bike from last year
https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/fire-woman.115920/page-2

Last edited:
Found a way that to make another attachment area using more parts from the 20" springer
took a bit to find a way that didnt look to cluttered
20230526_171243 (1).jpg

This is bolt setup I used to make the springer attachment work
the middle spaces are sandwiched inside the hole with the wider outside spaces holding it together (along with the bolt and nut)
Then the whole thing attaches to hole where the bottom of the rear fender bolted on
It will of course need a stronger method for bolting it to that area but that will come latter

20230525_124549.jpg

I borrowed a bmx style fork to use in place of the original monark
Extending it should be easier and better looking than the original fork part
Here is a very rough mock up
You can see i moved the springer attachment to the base of the head tube rather than mounting it on top
20230525_130815.jpg

Here is the full scale rough mockup for you all to enjoy this memorial weekend

20230526_165651 (1).jpg

Sorry for the delay but I decided I needed to attach the rear springer arms to the bb
It turned out the old attachment way interfered with the crank arms no matter what I did

20230530_130424.jpg

Since I will need to put in a new bb for the crank I decided it would look better integrating the bb as the mounting for the rear set up was better than leaving an exposed bb
the biggest problem thet kept me from posting was the 20" arms where now too short and a 26" was too long
A 24" springer might have worked but not something easy to find
and coming up with finding a way to lengthen the 20" without going into fully fabricating something eluded me
20230612_164616.jpg

That was until I was able to make it out to my local bicycle co-opt in Santa Ana
they where sending some damaged children's bikes off to the metal recyclers
A couple of them still had their training wheels attached

20230612_164723.jpg

As you can see once I modify them they will give me that few extra precious inches that I will need

Latest posts

Back