Ladybug

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first build off. Was planning to join the skinny bike, but looking through my parts and this idea came together which fits off road better.

The frame is a 1960s Heavy Duti. ( is it still a Heavy Duti after I strip it down? Or is it now just a cantilever?)

The forks and wheels were salvaged from a mountain bike with a cracked frame.

The plan is to add a faux tank painted to look like a ladybug head. Add these old headlamps as eyes. Cranks, bars, kickstand all black to look like legs and antennae.

Still a lot of details to figure out.

640507E1-1FCE-41BF-A149-F92AEEA4A512.jpeg

7F6B38AF-A9D4-4C6A-BFA5-01DDA43462C9.jpeg

9C5CFD0B-71F9-4E90-BA0D-0BADD439B2BD.jpeg
7CDEE52A-7BCF-4EE4-9C28-0DD65B8D1821.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to the build off fun @twojs.bike ! I like your start, keep the progress photos and prose coming!

Solid start. Schwinns don't break easily.
The Heavy Duti frames had beefier fabrication than the standard cantilever frames, making them more dependable for dealing with the rigors of off-road/BMX applications. With that in mind, it definitely adheres to the subset rule of engagement for the offroad category.

• This is not a build-off for your everyday cruiser, perfect restoration, or your ride to the shops bikes... This is for bikes that are meant to be ridden hard and fast, jumped, skidded and abused in an off road setting!

I have two heavy dutis. I rebuilt a set of wheels for the other one using the original hubs. Turns out they are drilled for 12G spokes.

Been cleaning parts and brainstorming. Unfortunately this frame is not cleaning up very well. I was hoping I wouldn’t have to paint it, but I might.

Here is a mock up of my current idea. This certainly won’t be the final design, but it’s a start. Not even sure how I would do this. I have two headlamps. Likely paint them white like eyes.

17CE6E75-2C0A-45CB-B4CC-0C7A9B94CF23.jpeg

Last edited:
I recently met guy that has a ton of experience building bike frames. He lives a couple miles from me, and I have been in touch with him to see if he has interest in helping me mount some disc brakes. Not sure the timing is going to work out for this build, so I may be building a set of wheels and shifting the plans a bit

However, I showed him what I was working on and he gave me this clock from a 52 Pontiac. Mounting an antique clock to an off road bikes sounds crazy enough to almost make sense. I am going to attempt to get this thing working. I never thought I would be watching YouTube videos on clock repair in order to finish a bike build. But I think there is a good chance I get it working.

How to mount it on the bike is another story.

AE699FD4-8B86-4586-A470-7852B7EE5895.jpeg
5751608D-38BF-4246-A6C9-575EB464A386.jpeg

I also found this rear derailleur that may work. I am thinking about a 1x5 drivetrain. That is going to require replacing the front chainring. So a cool chainring is now part of the scavenger hunt.

669674EA-51C5-47F2-B64B-F8ABB4259633.jpeg

Still not sure I have a solid plan here, but definitely entertaining myself!

I like your idea for the bugeye lights.
I also like the idea for a time trials clock

1665019348079.png

I was able to get the clock working!! Almost. A few cycles in the ultrasonic and and it started ticking. Tic Tic Tic for 11 hours and POP. I think the mainspring broke as now it winds endlessly and has no power. ..... I sought this guy out to learn something about frame building and he sent me down a rabbit hole of clock repair. Hopefully I don’t waste as much time on the rat rod clock site as I do on this. But I am going to fix this thing. I think I can. I think I can.

Anyways, not much else to report. I will be traveling for the next 10 days, so there won’t be any progress here.

I pulled these 27 1 1/4 S-6 wheels out of my stash. Planning to salvage the hubs and lace them to 26 inch rims. The hubs should polish up nicely. If anyone wants the rims send me a DM. I don’t need them. Original tires too. Tires not in great shape.

42DC2CDC-A456-4965-AA4C-59C23B9FE371.jpeg
4500A41C-22EB-4462-87DE-2F61B3E71CBF.jpeg

Off on vacation. Will have some updates in a couple weeks.

A couple more things:

1). Made a rookie mistake last night and cut all the spokes before removing the freewheel. This might be a challenge to remove. Also turns out that I need a new freewheel tool. Park FR4. It seems like I will never stop buying freewheel tools. I have quite the collection. At least this one is readily available. I have spent a small fortune on a few rare ones.

90325F55-B1E1-4AF6-9649-7C48EA585BEB.jpeg

2). Now that I am building new wheels I am contemplating switching categories. I picked off road mostly because I wanted to get rid of the suspension forks and matching disc brake wheels. With new wheels I am no longer married to the forks. Maybe muscle bike would be a better fit for the ladybug? I would need to find some long forks and build a 20in front wheel.

I have never been into muscle bikes. I was born in 73 and maybe I’m just too young to appreciate them. We rode BMX as kids and Mountain bikes in college. I will take a 90s era MTB over a muscle bike in a minute. Especially when comparing the prices for vintage stingray parts compared to $35 90s MTBs that pop up all the time.

Would love to hear anyones thoughts. With the clock and bug eyes, off road might not be the best fit. Any suggestions on a fork?

Just a thought at this point.

I am contemplating switching categories.
I think this bike would be totally cool built up as a muscle bike. I'm sure someone will have some cool ideas for forks. Maybe a beehive springer?

I have never been into muscle bikes. I was born in 73 and maybe I’m just too young to appreciate them. We rode BMX as kids and Mountain bikes in college. I will take a 90s era MTB over a muscle bike in a minute. Especially when comparing the prices for vintage stingray parts compared to $35 90s MTBs that pop up all the time.
I'm in the same boat and same history with bikes. I just got into muscle bikes this build off and man it has really infected my brain. They don't seem real practical but they are Kool! I say go for it!

I’m not going to weigh in on the mechanics of the build but let me speak on the aesthetics. I like themes and you’ve got this ladybug theme and I’m good with that, but I’ve never seen a lower frame plate on a bike that I’ve liked or has complimented the frame. Stick with the upper frame plate, between the top tube and cantilever bars, and do your ladybug art on there and it will be enough without the bottom part. Just my strong opinion on full frame plates. Haha

Would love to hear anyones thoughts.
73? A baby! A child! I was born in 72. So, as your elder I will say that I never had a muscle bike either. I got into them from the restoration side. Something cool for my kids that just grew with a mind of its own. My thought: Build what you like. One of my muscle bikes will have some suspension, but the way it's used doesn't make it an off road bike. So, depending on what you want to do, you can decide the category. Just because you're not into muscle bikes doesn't mean you can't build your version of one and love it.

Great feedback from both of you. Below is a mock up of what I had planned for this frame before the build off. BMX style forks. This just seemed a little basic for a build off, but maybe I should take the advice and build what I want. I have not really been in love with any of my creative ideas. I have a few handlebar options and will build some fresh wheels. I do like the looks of that upper plate better!

A4CFD7FE-39C9-4AEB-BC19-332B31652127.jpeg

Finally, a tiny bit of progress. I polished the hubs and bought some a7x rims from bmxguru. They hubs looks super nice. However, then I found a disc brake adapter that may work. It was cheap enough to give it a try. If it works I will use the wheels I originally planned. If not, I will build a set. It should be here Monday. The plans just keep changing.

I also stripped the paint off the frame. Originally I thought I would get away with just doing some touch up paint. I finally admitted to myself the bike deserved a nice paint job. This will only be the fourth bike I have painted. I have had varying results. Fingers crossed. It appears the stripper (citrastrip) left some of the original primer. Planning to hit the rest with sandpaper.
123A9385-8230-4F92-B101-D085FF1F490E.jpeg
34AB23AE-8ACF-45EC-8BA4-D47ED24ACCAF.jpeg
DAB2020A-3EC2-4C26-8BC7-DCD8A1F6EE49.png

Latest posts

Back