Sting Ray lovers finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have experience cleaning rust from the fenders and frame? Would I use a Oxalic acid bath? What mixture should I use and for how long should I soak the parts? Or are there better ways to preserve this bike?

Found this on marketplace yesterday for $100. A RATTY looking 1974 Schwinn Deluxe Twinn! On the plus side is the rear drum brake, nice pedals, grips and the paint may be (mostly) ok. On the minus side... it's HUGE and HEAVY, the rear rim and derailleur are twisted pretty bad, most of the chrome on both rims, both fenders and steering handlebars is terrible, the rear fender is bent, the seats are crispy, tires are shot and the cables are either stuck or broken. (But those pedals!!)
20230129_163900.jpg
20230129_163957.jpg
20230129_163935.jpg
20230129_163910.jpg
20230129_163926.jpg

Found this on marketplace yesterday for $100. A RATTY looking 1974 Schwinn Deluxe Twinn! On the plus side is the rear drum brake, nice pedals, grips and the paint may be (mostly) ok. On the minus side... it's HUGE and HEAVY, the rear rim and derailleur are twisted pretty bad, most of the chrome on both rims, both fenders and steering handlebars is terrible, the rear fender is bent, the seats are crispy, tires are shot and the cables are either stuck or broken. (But those pedals!!)
Sweet, I love my twin. I wish it was a 5 speed, it was a single and I stepped up to a 2 speed. Yes big and heavy mine is Serria p00p brown I call it The deuce deuce

It’s all there, which is a plus. I rebuilt one. Dog bones, chain tensioners and chain guard are often missing. It’s a wobbly ride. I painted it the wedding colors for my daughters wedding. It was a hit, a lot of couples rode it around the farm where the wedding took place. I was riding it around by sitting on the rear seat and stretching to grab the bars. I put a SA drum brake on the front.

It’s all there, which is a plus. I rebuilt one. Dog bones, chain tensioners and chain guard are often missing. It’s a wobbly ride. I painted it the wedding colors for my daughters wedding. It was a hit, a lot of couples rode it around the farm where the wedding took place. I was riding it around by sitting on the rear seat and stretching to grab the bars. I put a SA drum brake on the front.

What year is yours?
Mine is a '69, I bought it for the HD wheels and pedals both sets were in great shape the same ones that go on the Stingrays. I always keep an eye out for the older ones. They are usually cheap and mostly still in good shape as they didn;t get ridden as much as regular bikes and mostly got a coveted spot in the garage. I took my kids for a ride on it and the little one told me I could not sell it. I'm glad I kept it always tons of comments on it. I still need to hook up the lever to switch from low to high gear. It is stuck in low for now which is more than OK at almost 70 lbs. I have to ditch the tiny little bars on it to much leaning over for my tired old back.

Awesome score they are great fun. I have 3 complete tandems and 1 that's just a frame. All 3 variations. I have a Schwinn Deluxe Twinn 5 speed with the same drum brake hub, a Schwinn Twinn 2 speed kickback, and the ultra rare unicorn 1968 only Schwinn Mini Twinn.
IMG_20221106_171944966_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221106_171659528.jpg
IMG_20221129_125610159.jpg

Awesome score they are great fun. I have 3 complete tandems and 1 that's just a frame. All 3 variations. I have a Schwinn Deluxe Twinn 5 speed with the same drum brake hub, a Schwinn Twinn 2 speed kickback, and the ultra rare unicorn 1968 only Schwinn Mini Twinn. View attachment 223730View attachment 223731View attachment 223732
What type of rims are on the green one? I would like to have balloon tires on mine since the rear rim is trash. Maybe keep that Atom rear drum for a future project.

The green one has Schwinn S-7 rims (26x1 3/4) with a 2 speed kickback hub. I found extra wide tires for S7 that are 2 inch wide.

From the 74 catalog:

Schwinn Deluxe Twinn​

Responsive 5-speed gears help make the ride almost effortless. Low, easy to mount tandem design. New GT-120 rear derailleur Chrome fenders, 26" x 1 3/8" gumwall touring tires. Front caliper and rear internal expander brake.
Choice of colors: Chestnut, Opaque Blue, or Kool Lemon. Wt. 64 lbs.

• T13-9 Deluxe Twin Tandem...........

I have a 63 Schwinn tandem back in Florida that was just a bare frame. I added 26" rims and 2.125 tires. That gave me the most choice in tires, 1.75 up to 2.125. You could lace your hubs into standard 26" rims and get a set of good tires.

My brother found this and picked it up for me. It was listed on Marketplace in central Kentucky. S7 wheels have original white paint with 2 black pinstripes. After a little acetone investigation the revealed its a Tiger. SCORE! Serial number says it's a 52' but I can't see where Schwinn made a Tiger in 1952. Any ideas?
20230219_170219(1).jpg
16768447270453849634909123392484.jpg

Attachments

• 20230219_170219(1).jpg
    20230219_170219(1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
My brother found this and picked it up for me. It was listed on Marketplace in central Kentucky. S7 wheels have original white paint with 2 black pinstripes. After a little acetone investigation the revealed its a Tiger. SCORE! Serial number says it's a 52' but I can't see where Schwinn made a Tiger in 1952. Any ideas?View attachment 224832View attachment 224834
Awesome find! (by your brother anyway!)

I…. Don’t have your answer! My go-to historian on a bike like this would be @Wildcat !!!!

he‘s AWESOME And has given me many a tutorial on some bike I plucked off Craigslist !!!

@Wildcat you out there and can you give us any insight on this bike?

"The Schwinn Tiger was made from 1955 to 1962 and unlike many Schwinn bikes, the Tiger pretty much stayed exactly the same throughout its run."

D+5 numbers would be 1957 for a Tiger. 6 numbers would be 59 as noted above by hammer mechanic.
57 model:
1676877426831.png

Also noted above, the chainguard isn't the same style as a 57 as shown in the catalog, it's the later style like a 59 . The Tiger is shown only available as a 3 speed in 55-57. In 59 you could get it in one, two, or three speed. So your one speed S-7 wheel points to 1959 also.

59 model:
1676877472763.png

Lastly, the handlebars look 59 also, the earlier model has curvier bars, yours look more like the longer ones on the 59 illustration.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back