Last Minute Frame swap.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'm officially throwing in the towel. I am still waiting on some parts from eBay that will not be in in time and I don't think I've done enough to constitute a "build" so I am throwing in the towel on this year's build off.

I am however looking forward to next year's build off and I am already gathering parts for it. Next year it's guns loaded and I'll be better prepared. I've enjoyed it but just ran out of time. I'll still be finishing the bike and keeping you all updated.

Got my chainring and bolts in the other day now just got to order the Spyder next check along with the new pedals and chain.

IMG_20220908_153854438_HDR.jpg

Also had these old LaJolla fenders laying around so thought I'd see if they fit and they could not fit more perfect. The mounts line right up and it even has the bolt provision on the kickstand plate to accept it. Thinking of painting them black and seeing how they look.

What do y'all think?
IMG_20220909_190746790_HDR.jpg

I'll try to get some better pictures later but they are painted and on. Not sure how I feel about the fenders yet. I kinda like them because they look like they could have been original but part of me thinks fenders are just excess packaging for a BMX bike. They do fit the early BMX vibe I'm going for though and BMX means Bicycle Moto Cross so fenders would be needed to keep the dirt under control.
IMG_20220910_121554380.jpg

IMG_20220910_121526419.jpg

IMG_20220910_121546499.jpg

Well got some better pictures and got the fenders both massaged into place and I kinda like them. Might still ditch the rack. Can't wait to get the new crank in there and looking good.
IMG_20220910_200333284.jpg

Well finally got my chainring Spyder and pedals in today and assembled the new crank. Well worth the wait. Pork chop is the best.
IMG_20220919_222031690.jpg

I tried to match the colors from the decals, frame, and wheels to draw it all together and I think I nailed it.
IMG_20220919_222039982.jpg

Still need to do some cleaning on the crank or paint it I'm still undecided but it looks so much better with a quality crank in it. Now it screams BMX.

IMG_20220919_222046593.jpg

Let's see how it looks rackless! I bet it makes a huge difference. If you do go with a rack, something with less visual weight might be something to consider.
The visual weight will be ok there's a thick pad that goes on the top tube I removed to put it on the bike stand and another that goes on the handlebar.

Latest posts

Back