Late 20s Elgin moto bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Soon to be my single speed hot rod. I picked it up tonight from one of my friends over on the Cabe. It's going to have 700c wheels with a coaster brake. Bars are black Torringtons and will have a board track feel to them. I have a black Brooks saddle ready to go. This is going to be a daily rider that I can get out on the roads haul butt. Maybe I'll chase down some of my buddies on their carbon bikes!

I started cleaning it up and it has a nice reddish primer color. You can still see the faint darts on the frame/forks. I wish it had a little better patina, but it will work for what I want to do with it. I'll post some of the "after" pics tomorrow...

elgin_1.jpg

elgin_2.jpg

elgin_3.jpg

elgin_4.jpg

Peatbog said:
700c wheels with a coaster brake? That is cool right there!

You know it. Chimichanga is trying to put together a set of black/black deep V 700s for me. Man, those will be some killer wheels if we can get it done.

deven_science said:
700c wheels with a skip tooth coaster brake hub is exactly what I used for my Racycle. It fits where the 28" wheels would be quite nicely.

Any idea what spacing you have on your front fork? The fork on this bike has closed axle holes and not drop outs. I tried to slide a standard 700c with a quick release but the hub is too wide. I assume my 700 front wheel is a 110mm where this front fork is like 90mm...same as a standard vintage front hub with an axle.

I'm running coaster brake deep section 700c's on a prewar Schwinn built BFG road bike. I got them from junkyrustybikes on EBay. That's a fun setup, but without a front brake, I have to be careful. The bikes speed exceeds its braking capability. And 25c tires don't have much contact patch friction for skidding.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
I'm running coaster brake deep section 700c's on a prewar Schwinn built BFG road bike. I got them from junkyrustybikes on EBay. That's a fun setup, but without a front brake, I have to be careful. The bikes speed exceeds its braking capability. And 25c tires don't have much contact patch friction for skidding.

Thats the black bike right? It was one of the bikes that inspired this bike. What front hub does it have? I have a set of aero deep Vs for my carbon roadie but the front quick release is way too wide. This bike is about 90 where I think my roadie is 110?

bike2112 said:
Terry, you always score the coolest stuff. Great find and can't wait to see it built up. Don't forget to put a huge headlight on it!

Was it you that had the sweet lugged Higgins lightweight?

ifitsfreeitsforme said:

I put cream 700c X 40's on the Racycle. 40's were about the fattest I could find, which also helped fill the void meant for 28's.

Terry66 said:
deven_science said:
700c wheels with a skip tooth coaster brake hub is exactly what I used for my Racycle. It fits where the 28" wheels would be quite nicely.

Any idea what spacing you have on your front fork? The fork on this bike has closed axle holes and not drop outs. I tried to slide a standard 700c with a quick release but the hub is too wide. I assume my 700 front wheel is a 110mm where this front fork is like 90mm...same as a standard vintage front hub with an axle.

The fork I used wasn't the original Racycle fork, so I had no spacing issues.

Deven.....I am considering 40s. I have 42s on my dropbar adventure/touring bike. I haven't decided if I want to go with a fat tire or maybe a 28 Thick Slick for speed.

I really don't want to swap out the fork on this bike. I really like how it looks. Although the design is whacked. Here is a pic. The trusses are a solid loop on the end and are brazed right to the fork which also has a hold versus a dropout. I've heard of guys taking a Dremel and opening up one side to a dropout and then fitting the axle in the hole side and sliding it up in the drop and then tighening it down. Also was told if you trim a 1/4" off each axle end, it pops in place pretty easy. I'm going to make it work. That's part of the fun! I am holding out hope for Chimi to nail me a set of custom Origin8 Deep V.

elgin_6.jpg

Looks like those forks had the type of hub with sealed bearings and a slide out, motorcycle style axle. I recently acquired a wheel set with those type of hubs. Going to use them on a future build, a bike to replace my current daily rider.

If you need to, I would go ahead and consider cutting axle access at the bottom. Hate to modify old parts like that, but I end up doing it often.

deven_science said:
Looks like those forks had the type of hub with sealed bearings and a slide out, motorcycle style axle. I recently acquired a wheel set with those type of hubs. Going to use them on a future build, a bike to replace my current daily rider.

If you need to, I would go ahead and consider cutting axle access at the bottom. Hate to modify old parts like that, but I end up doing it often.

Another suggestion I had was to offset the axle in the hub so more sticks out of one side. Then slide the longer end in first and then lift the fork blade over the shorter side.

Also, I got to thinking. I can get a front wheel with a 100mm hub and quick release. The fork blades are 90mm. We're talking about half an inch. I really think I could spread the fork that 1/2", then my problem would be solved.

bike2112 said:
Terry66 said:
bike2112 said:
Terry, you always score the coolest stuff. Great find and can't wait to see it built up. Don't forget to put a huge headlight on it!

Was it you that had the sweet lugged Higgins lightweight?

Yes sir. Are you thinking about the doing the clean and clear on this one????? It would look awesome. I'm also a part time sub contractor :wink: :wink: This one would be a great one to do?!?!?!?!?!

Yeah, I have been wanting to try that process, so this might be the one. I want to see how the paint looks once I get it clean. From what I have cleaned so far, I am getting a nice dark putty red flat finish. I like "flat", so I may end up leaving it. We'll see...How do you do the cleaning part? I lightly use 0000 steel wool with some sort of cleaner.

As far as the clear process....heat the paint, clear, heat the clear, wetsand. Then do that process once more, but let the clear stand for 24 hours before the final wetsand? A couple of questions if you don't mind...

How much heat do you use? I take it a torch of some sort and just brush back and forth to warm the paint?

What is your wetsand process on the clear? Is it just something like 1000grit?

Alright....got the blacked out Deep V wheelset ordered from Chimi, so this bike is heading to the build section very soon. Still looking for a narrow vintage black seat....but I think I have everything else I need.

Latest posts

Back