Leg Day SCRAP cruiser. Pulling the plug.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A bit of a last minute decision to join the buildoff, all my stuff is hidden under building supplies and tools, my workshop is full of moving boxes and timber flooring, our house still needs a huge amount of work and my wife just got out of hospital... Sounds like the perfect time to jump in! :21:

First off to dig out parts, somewhere under this should be most of them:
IMG_20230430_142358819_HDR.jpg

Well, I found some... The rest must still be at my folks place?

Anyway, found enough to try figure out what to build, I was thinking a trike with a detroit style locking rear end like the Flip The Script trike I built a while back, https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/mbbo-05-class-2-¡ʇdᴉɹɔs-ǝɥʇ-dᴉlℲ-trike-finished-thread-sold-to-finance-exciting-new-venture.101247/
But I am missing a hub from my set up, I could build a new one, but, once again, my lathe is not set up and I don't have a work bench...

I did find a racing slick though that I had put aside for a future build:
IMG_20230501_150501565_HDR.jpg

That takes care of the rear, and gives me a direction, something I have been thinking about since reading @bckwoodz thread about finding an UncleStretch build: https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/new-member-saved-an-uncle-stretch-from-a-scrap-pile.118244/

Now imagine that style of cruiser but with fat car tires...

Off to the local dumpshop to find a front tire candidate... I could use bicycle tires, but the thorns and goatheads around here are quite ridiculous, so sticking with automotive/motorcycle is safer...

Found this temporary spare tire, that actually looks decent, unlike most of them, and actually quite light...
IMG_20230501_150511053_HDR.jpg

A quick mock up:
IMG_20230501_145230751_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230501_145241131_HDR.jpg

Yep, that might work.

Found another front wheel option in my parts pile:
IMG_20230501_150533808_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230501_145325420_HDR.jpg

Hmmmm, 🤔 nope, not liking that. So we will stick with the temporary spare for the moment.

Need steel tube to make a frame and forks, easy to get straight tubing, but harder to get curved, and my old suppliers are 800km away, and I have not found anyone here local that will deal with a small hobbyist, they usually deal with the mines, so using recycled tubing will be the way to go, lets check the scrap pile:
IMG_20230501_150638736_HDR.jpg

Maybe there will be enough there to make it work, depends if I can get the right curves out of those bed frames...?

Time to do some drawing...

Hope your wife is doing ok?

I like what I'm seeing, and glad to see you in the buildoff! I forgot that some motorcycle tires will fit a 20" bicycle wheel... might need to mock one up on my rear wheel 🤔

Funny you call them goatheads, grew up calling them catheads...
1682928124738.png
We have them here in Greece also...

You are a bit like me, collecting any metal that would work as frame parts. I have a pipe bender, but does not give nice curves...
Glad you are in LTJ, now get to building.

Hope your wife is doing ok?

I like what I'm seeing, and glad to see you in the buildoff! I forgot that some motorcycle tires will fit a 20" bicycle wheel... might need to mock one up on my rear wheel 🤔
My wife is out of hospital as of today, still on antibiotics, but doing much better thank you!
90/90/16 Harley whitewalls fit nicely on a fat "20. :wink1:
Glad you are in LTJ, now get to building.
sammich.jpg

(There is an old RRB reference for you!)

A bit of a last minute decision to join the buildoff, all my stuff is hidden under building supplies and tools, my workshop is full of moving boxes and timber flooring, our house still needs a huge amount of work and my wife just got out of hospital... Sounds like the perfect time to jump in! :21:

View attachment 229813

Anyway, found enough to try figure out what to build, I was thinking a trike with a detroit style locking rear end like the Flip The Script trike I built a while back, https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/mbbo-05-class-2-¡ʇdᴉɹɔs-ǝɥʇ-dᴉlℲ-trike-finished-thread-sold-to-finance-exciting-new-venture.101247/
But I am missing a hub from my set up, I could build a new one, but, once again, my lathe is not set up and I don't have a work bench...

View attachment 229817

That takes care of the rear, and gives me a direction, something I have been thinking about since reading @bckwoodz thread about finding an UncleStretch build: https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/new-member-saved-an-uncle-stretch-from-a-scrap-pile.118244/

Off to the local dumpshop to find a front tire candidate... I could use bicycle tires, but the thorns and goatheads around here are quite ridiculous, so sticking with automotive/motorcycle is safer...

Found this temporary spare tire, that actually looks decent, unlike most of them, and actually quite light...
View attachment 229818

A quick mock up:
View attachment 229814
View attachment 229815

Yep, that might work.

View attachment 229819
View attachment 229816

Hmmmm, 🤔 nope, not liking that. So we will stick with the temporary spare for the moment.

Need steel tube to make a frame and forks, easy to get straight tubing, but harder to get curved, and my old suppliers are 800km away, and I have not found anyone here local that will deal with a small hobbyist, they usually deal with the mines, so using recycled tubing will be the way to go, lets check the scrap pile:
View attachment 229820

Maybe there will be enough there to make it work, depends if I can get the right curves out of those bed frames...?

The 4 1/2 to 5 years my wife and I lived in New Mexico gave us 1st hand experience with goatheads. They could pierce bike tires and even your shoes! The product Slime was a big seller out there. One of the few things I don't miss about living in the dessert. - Heath and Happiness to you and your wife. Matthew.....

View attachment 229813

View attachment 229817

View attachment 229818

A quick mock up:
View attachment 229814
View attachment 229815

Yep, that might work.

View attachment 229819
View attachment 229816

View attachment 229820

This is amazing! You‘re making a bike out of bed frames and racing slicks!!!!

Heath and Happiness to you and your wife. Matthew.....
Thank You!
That's some serious tire! And a good amoumt of scrap to make it. The kids headboards might be a.little thin, but lots can be done with those as well.

Love the concept and can't wait to see it come together.
Glad you like the idea!
Having trouble getting the right flow with those curves, also not a big fan of the large diameter tube, so the bed heads might not get used, depends what else I can come up with...
And Viola' ! It looks like a bike! Luke is playing that old jazz standard again....
:21: You are familiar with my ways!
Yeah... there's the winner already.

Kind of glad I'm not participating (again) this year... wouldn't stand a chance.

I do love a big wheel build.

:thumbsup:

Glen.
I wish you were in Glen, always enjoy your builds.
This is amazing! You‘re making a bike out of bed frames and racing slicks!!!!
:21: I like the crazy and the crazy likes me!

As I said to Chewy, not liking the lines I am getting from the bed heads or the chunky tube, so spent the day searching for other options without much success, I did come up with this old hanging chair frame though, which although it is made from heavier tubing than I would normally use, has the perfect curve for the wrap around seat tube at the rear wheel.
IMG_20230502_123603916_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230502_124003642_HDR.jpg

Seeing as it is only that one short section, I think I will use it, even though it is heavier wall than what I would like ideally.

It seems I can't even buy thin wall tubing locally, the steel suppliers only have fence or steam pipe, might have to get a bit more creative than using the usual round tube for the rest of the frame...

Goona look good. Definitely a workout bike, unless it has a motor in it’s future?
Not really big on motors, Aussie laws restrict us to 250w anyway, so I just build low and slow bikes for cruising around on. :wink1:

Not really big on motors, Aussie laws restrict us to 250w anyway, so I just build low and slow bikes for cruising around on. :wink1:
I've put a 48cc Skyhawk on a frame or two and built an electric long bike board. They were amusing for a week or two and then parked.

My preference is to stick to pedals only as well. Im on a bike for the excercise and excitement.

Maybe when I reach my 70s I might change my tune but that's still 18 years away.

Thank You!

Glad you like the idea!
Having trouble getting the right flow with those curves, also not a big fan of the large diameter tube, so the bed heads might not get used, depends what else I can come up with...

:21: You are familiar with my ways!

I wish you were in Glen, always enjoy your builds.

:21: I like the crazy and the crazy likes me!

As I said to Chewy, not liking the lines I am getting from the bed heads or the chunky tube, so spent the day searching for other options without much success, I did come up with this old hanging chair frame though, which although it is made from heavier tubing than I would normally use, has the perfect curve for the wrap around seat tube at the rear wheel.
View attachment 230187View attachment 230186

Seeing as it is only that one short section, I think I will use it, even though it is heavier wall than what I would like ideally.

It seems I can't even buy thin wall tubing locally, the steel suppliers only have fence or steam pipe, might have to get a bit more creative than using the usual round tube for the rest of the frame...
What about speedholing it?
There was this bike at the coasterbrake challenge with lots of speedholes.

I wheelie enjoy your work and craftmanship so far!

Latest posts

Back