Leg Day SCRAP cruiser. Pulling the plug.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are lucky you don't live here, as your yard would be full of metal. Here people just trash everything by the roadside dumpsters... So when you drive around your heads on a swivel for frame metal... Thats if you get around before the gypsies...

The curve on that heavy tube looks good tho....
Maybe some speed holes to lighten it up?

C.

I have hit a few road blocks here lately, really struggling to find scrap curved tube or even anyone to roll tubing for me, or... even BUY thin wall tube to start with... :doh:

I guess I didn't think about that moving to a small city in the middle of the desert from the place where I was friends with the scrap metal guy and knew most of the steel suppliers by their personal names...

So there will be some redesigning going on, I will just have to work with whatever bends I can find, from chairs, table legs, exercise machines, whatever...

Lets build a completely from scrap cruiser!

I also found this in my stash, it might make an appearance:
IMG_20230508_141817377_HDR.jpg

MAJOR WINS TODAY!

A trip to the tip shop and:
I will just have to work with whatever bends I can find, from chairs, table legs, exercise machines, whatever...
Chairs, table legs and exercise machines, check:
IMG_20230508_161643790_HDR.jpg

Also picked up this little beauty which will most likely be used on this build unless some other idea presents itself:
IMG_20230508_162019030_HDR.jpg

Top part is aluminium, bottom is steel, a bit of a clean up, remove all the tabs that wont be needed and add some fork tubes that should fit the build nicely.

Then over to my folks place as I knew there was a lot of my stash still under the work bench with my complete bikes, after removing the MasterSports/CyclePro 26" BMX, the 2 MooseGoose copies and my wife's retro build, I found this "RetroGlide" Huffy Cranbrook style bike that will probably donate some parts and maybe some tubing:
IMG_20230508_161654536_HDR.jpg

But then I found my other Hoosier slick, I had forgotten about it, I also forgot it already had a wheel made and fitted! (I can't even remember what build that was for? The last 4 years are a bit of a blur with all the moving and renovating!)
IMG_20230508_161450535_HDR.jpg

:13: That is a huge win! Still need to make a front hub and spokes for that space saver wheel though...

I was still struggling with how to find thin wall tubing, but then remembered the left overs I had from the kitchen electric frame steel conduit I made from old camping frame parts, all the 90 degree bends are used up, and most of the 1" tube, but plenty of 3/4" diameter and smaller pieces, so maybe there is a plan forming???
IMG_20230508_163039523_HDR.jpg

It wouldn't be the first time I used small tubes with bracing to build a strong oversized frame...
9414689884_d82a8b57a3_b.jpg

With that hub and tire, motorcycle triple tree, and the tubing and additional scrap I see some build potential. That exercise frame has some curves as well.

With your fabrication skills, I think something cool may be brewing.

MAJOR WINS TODAY!

A trip to the tip shop and:

Chairs, table legs and exercise machines, check:
View attachment 231438

Also picked up this little beauty which will most likely be used on this build unless some other idea presents itself:
View attachment 231440

Top part is aluminium, bottom is steel, a bit of a clean up, remove all the tabs that wont be needed and add some fork tubes that should fit the build nicely.

Then over to my folks place as I knew there was a lot of my stash still under the work bench with my complete bikes, after removing the MasterSports/CyclePro 26" BMX, the 2 MooseGoose copies and my wife's retro build, I found this "RetroGlide" Huffy Cranbrook style bike that will probably donate some parts and maybe some tubing:
View attachment 231439

But then I found my other Hoosier slick, I had forgotten about it, I also forgot it already had a wheel made and fitted! (I can't even remember what build that was for? The last 4 years are a bit of a blur with all the moving and renovating!)
View attachment 231437

:13: That is a huge win! Still need to make a front hub and spokes for that space saver wheel though...

I was still struggling with how to find thin wall tubing, but then remembered the left overs I had from the kitchen electric frame steel conduit I made from old camping frame parts, all the 90 degree bends are used up, and most of the 1" tube, but plenty of 3/4" diameter and smaller pieces, so maybe there is a plan forming???
View attachment 231441

It wouldn't be the first time I used small tubes with bracing to build a strong oversized frame...
View attachment 231442
That bike is awesome

My wife is out of hospital as of today, still on antibiotics, but doing much better thank you!
90/90/16 Harley whitewalls fit nicely on a fat "20. :wink1:

View attachment 229843

(There is an old RRB reference for you!)
Hope your wife is doing ok?

I like what I'm seeing, and glad to see you in the buildoff! I forgot that some motorcycle tires will fit a 20" bicycle wheel... might need to mock one up on my rear wheel 🤔
Sometimes I'm slow on the uptake, but did I understand that the 90/90/16 tire you referenced (90mm wide/ 90% aspect ratio/ 16" motorcycle wheel) may or would fit on a suitably wide 20" bike wheel?

Luke found his mojo in a pile of RRB history! Can't wait for the dismantling / mantling to begin!

RaT oN~!

PS Do you still have the 'BACK40 Klunker' ? That was so cool!

With that hub and tire, motorcycle triple tree, and the tubing and additional scrap I see some build potential. That exercise frame has some curves as well.

With your fabrication skills, I think something cool may be brewing.
I hope I can make it cool!

Your parts stash is looking like a cool beast in the making!
It's getting better, really missing my 100+ bikes parts pile I had before we moved, struggling to find parts sometimes, going to have to order up a bmx freewheel and some brake levers for example...

Sometimes I'm slow on the uptake, but did I understand that the 90/90/16 tire you referenced (90mm wide/ 90% aspect ratio/ 16" motorcycle wheel) may or would fit on a suitably wide 20" bike wheel?
That is correct
Yep, great fit on a Modern Schwinn Stingray 20x4" rim, but I have seen them of 75mm rims too, just use a Stingray tube as they are significantly lighter than a M/C one.

Luke, you are going to get plenty of exercise riding that juggernaut!
Hence the name! No need for leg day at the gym! :21:

Do you still have the 'BACK40 Klunker' ? That was so cool!
I wish I did OJ, that bike has the best geometry I have ever ridden, but it was one I sold when we moved.

It came out nice, but I found there were too many compromises on it, and was let down by the tires. They were just too "normal sized" and punctured very easily. If I had built it lighter they would have been perfect, but with it being built so "tank" like it really needed something more in line, something beefier...

I have plans for a "Back42" (Back Forty #2) build that I am collecting parts for already though, going to keep the same geometry we came up with but just refine the parts a bit more. Hopefully I can get all the parts soon, I was actually planning on building it now, but I am still waiting on my wheels...

So, if Class 2 had enough builds I would definitely be on page 2...

Time to fix that!

5x 1/2" slices of large fence pipe, some flat steel sheet, a split cheap steel hub and cut the center out of the wheel and we end up here:
IMG_20230515_145602931_HDR.jpg

weld the hub in, true it up a little on the rear triangle of and old race bike I grabbed for the cranks:
IMG_20230515_155519943_HDR.jpg

And now it is ready for welding in once I have some forks made... The rear triangle is not wide enough to spin the fat tire for truing up...
IMG_20230515_160538247.jpg

A good match for the rear wheel and very dragster inspired.
IMG_20230508_161450535_HDR.jpg

Screenshot 2023-05-16 002322.jpg

I have plans for a "Back42" (Back Forty #2) build that I am collecting parts for already though, going to keep the same geometry we came up with but just refine the parts a bit more. Hopefully I can get all the parts soon, I was actually planning on building it now, but I am still waiting on my wheels...
Looking forward to it
hceVQzGsC1r1QAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==.png

Wow! That's a cool wheel. I just checked out some of your builds on the page in your signature- some amazing builds over there!!! I'll be checking your build threads for inspiration but, man, I love all the fabrication and creativity! :cool:
:thumbsup:

Time to fix that!

5x 1/2" slices of large fence pipe, some flat steel sheet, a split cheap steel hub and cut the center out of the wheel and we end up here:
View attachment 232582

weld the hub in, true it up a little on the rear triangle of and old race bike I grabbed for the cranks:
View attachment 232583

And now it is ready for welding in once I have some forks made... The rear triangle is not wide enough to spin the fat tire for truing up...View attachment 232584

View attachment 232586
View attachment 232585
Great to see you back in the build off. Love seeing your creations.
Like the others, definitely looking forward to a Back42 build on the future.

Time to fix that!

View attachment 232582

View attachment 232583

And now it is ready for welding in once I have some forks made... The rear triangle is not wide enough to spin the fat tire for truing up...View attachment 232584

View attachment 232586
View attachment 232585
amazing creativity and craftsmanship!

Funny you call them goatheads, grew up calling them catheads...View attachment 229830 We have them here in Greece also...

You are a bit like me, collecting any metal that would work as frame parts. I have a pipe bender, but does not give nice curves...
Glad you are in LTJ, now get to building.

We just call them "stickers" in the US South.

View attachment 229846

Yeah, I think this should work.

Glad to have you back playing around with us Luke!!!!
Give our love to MrsJoker.
Great lines for your build. It reminds me of Ruff Dean frame style but with monster Luke tires of course.

Luke, you are going to get plenty of exercise riding that juggernaut!

Luke is very used to maneuvering with ease on these monster bikes. Just check out how well he glides through this slalom course on Pedro.

Hey @LukeTheJoker , it looks like that rear wheel may have come from Pedro.

Might need to track down some shipping links to and from the ‘black stump’ (although Luke may offically be ‘beyond the black stump’). Send care packages of stripped bike parts and pay for the wide wheel fabrication too. We could start a sandbike revolution peculiar to Australia.

Latest posts

Back