LeMay Concours 2010 - Roadmaster and Rollfast

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are invited to,

The 5th annual Vintage Bicycle Concours at LeMay

August 28th, 2010

4837366043_521427ff62_b.jpg

We will be featuring Roadmaster and Rollfast along with all the models, brands and badges produced by Cleveland Welding and H.P. Snyder/D.P. Harris. This is our fifth year at LeMay and our event is held on the grounds of Marymount during the LeMay Museum's annual open house. If you tire of looking at bikes you can check out the 1000+ strong LeMay automobile collection along with the cars on display by local clubs.

The LeMay Museum is the largest privately held automobile collection in the world and is located in Spanaway Washington, near Tacoma and about 30 miles south of Seattle. The annual LeMay open house is scheduled this year for Saturday, August 28th and the Vintage Bicycle Concours will again be held in front of the main hall at Marymount. The event itself is spread over several acres and two sites with double decker buses running people between the sites

Our Concours is a celebration and show of Classic American bicycles centering on the Balloon tired bicycles from the 1930's - 1950's. Each year we have set up special featured manufacturer categories but the Concours is open to all North American bicycles from the beginning of the industry through the Muscle bike era.

I will be adding more information about the event and specifics about access for those displaying bikes in additional posts this week and next week. Please feel free to PM me or call Ron Summer, the Concours co-organizer, at 206-364-0922 if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Phil

Cman, I usually make apologies that our event is inconveniently tucked way off the beaten path in the far corner of the lower 48 but Boise is within tri-state striking distance…You should pack up the family and come check out the event in person! You could even kidnap a few other Ratrodders on the way.

2010 LeMay Concours Wrap-Up

August feels like the shortest month of the year with the frantic last minute preparations to get everything ready for, and onto the grounds at LeMay. The remaining time after the Concours and before the Iron Ranch swap meet in Battleground WA in the middle of September seem to slip by even more quickly for me as I try to pull together the results, organize and post photos, and try to unwind.

Most of the photographs from the event have been processed and to avoid having to load them onto each of the sites that we post to individually, I will be adding some of them along with the full list of participants and awards to the Concours Blog site this week.

http://classicbicycles.blogspot.com/

I will also post information here and on the Blog for those who would like to purchase a 2010 Concours Poster which is currently available in a numbered edition limited to 30 copies.

LeMay 2010

Ron Summer and I were particularly pleased with this year’s (fifth annual) event and we want to thank everyone that displayed this year and the volunteers that helped with unloading, setup, vote tabulation, and clean-up into the evening. We had 50 bikes on the field for the Concours this year (up from the last two) and the quality and rarity of the entries ran high. Weather which is always a factor at an outdoor event in Washington State was cooperative with a cool clear morning turning into a sunny afternoon.

We have streamlined our judging procedures over five years and the judging this year went relatively quickly and smoothly with only a couple of hiccups.

We have never had to judge two bikes so close to identical as the pair of 1938 Snyder built Hawthorne Zeps presented by Mike Kammer and Rick Collier. There were differences between the bikes but for every scratch on one, there was an equal small flaw on the other. After plenty of deliberation, we did what any right-minded judge would do and delegated further consideration to a group of participants we extracted from the crowd. Even this de facto jury could not come up with a unanimous decision but in the end Rick Collier graciously admitted to changing out his crank set when he was assembling the bike for the show which gave us grounds to break the tie.

The same group of emergency tie breakers were held in service a while longer as the judges used them in several other cases where the bikes were too close to judge or one of the judges could have been influenced by ownership.

In the final round of judging for presentation of the singular Best in Show trophy, again the judges were confronted by several bikes that were difficult to choose between more for their differences than their similarities. This led to a first place tie between the outstanding, original, 1936 Rollfast V-200 of Mike Thompson and the flamboyant, restored, 1937 Roadmaster Supreme that I brought to the event. (Another case where I stepped aside before the crucial decision but allowed myself plenty of input up to that point)

Below is a full list of the Trophy and Ribbon winners for 2010. we implemented a judged “Certificate of Honorable Mention” set of awards for the first time this year to acknowledge many of the contenders that ultimately did not win in the categories below and that list (along with photographs of many of the winning bicycles and general event photos is displayed on the event Blog site.)

LeMay 2010 Awards

Best in Show Trophy (Tie)

1936 Rollfast V-200
Mike Thompson
1937 Roadmaster Supreme
Philip Marshall

Best in Show Snyder/Harris

1936 Rollfast V-200
Mike Thompson

Best in Show Cleveland Welding

1937 Roadmaster Supreme
Philip Marshall