Lengthening a skip tooth chain

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bik.JPG
Building a ratted out a prewar Monark skip tooth bike. I retrofitted the rear wheel with an 11-tooth clog with Fat Franks tires. Now my 54-link chain is really short. Can I add links to what I have? Any other suggestions? Also looking for a vintage seat let me know if you have one for sale.

I use the Park Tool CT3.2 with the sliding gate. I slide the gate out of the way and use small metal shims next to the sliding gate attachment rivet to keep the skipper from rocking. I also use a shim at the front to keep it from twisting. Works well to remove links or pins but it doesn't work to drive the pin back in. I use a small socket under the link and hammer tap the pin back in. It goes in easier that you would think. The Park Tool CT3.2 is a very poor chain breaker so don't buy one, just use it if ya got it. The Park tool CT 3 is a better tool.

I use the Park CT-3. It's not designed to do a skipper obviously, but it does work. You do have to sometimes be creative with it. I've done it several times with great success.

I forgot I had been using a cheapo Walmart one and it worked better than the Park, because the skip tooth actually fit it, but that one snapped in use...
My cheap WallMart chain breaker got broke by the chain on it's first use, didn't even drive out the pin before it busted.

Latest posts

Back