LesMiserable

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I finally found some time to get back in the shop and work on the bike. Today I took the stock fork and welded up a truss set up for it. Going to have crowned nuts on top when done.
D30D9840-BF4F-4CBA-8282-ED6B2CC47151.jpeg
6CE6EA13-C314-43BA-A8AC-7532FA98911F.jpeg
D0AFC0D2-8D91-4253-9F3D-DD87B9DB7BF3.jpeg

I picked up a Sturmey Archer XL FDD drum brake dynamo hub for my build. I’m just a little concerned, never having used a dynamo hub before. When I spin the hub it’s not a free spin, rather kind of jerky. Is that the magnets in the dynamo or do I have a rough bearing ?

I picked up a Sturmey Archer XL FDD drum brake dynamo hub for my build. I’m just a little concerned, never having used a dynamo hub before. When I spin the hub it’s not a free spin, rather kind of jerky. Is that the magnets in the dynamo or do I have a rough bearing ?
It's the magnets...

It's the magnets...
So will someone with experience in these dynamos explain to me their operation ? I didn’t get a wiring harness or plug, is there a place to at least purchase the plug with contacts for the hub ? Do I need any regulator or condenser , or do I need a battery and or switch ?

So will someone with experience in these dynamos explain to me their operation ? I didn’t get a wiring harness or plug, is there a place to at least purchase the plug with contacts for the hub ? Do I need any regulator or condenser , or do I need a battery and or switch ?

Arguably the best site for dyno hub details and parts: https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/

Last edited:
Great work on the frame and that truss fork is a thing of beauty!
Cool wheel belt hoop too.

Well my wife is recovering very nicely from her neck surgery which finally gives me some shop time. Today I cut off the left side and refabricated it as a one piece frame that will bolt on. I had to build it that way in order to allow me to install the wheel with the big pulley.
D1665A32-86E2-4036-B2D7-6811ECAFC64D.jpeg
I welded in coupler nuts so I have a place to bolt on the left frame
9BCBCCBB-1ED5-4029-8B28-29D75F5E028F.jpeg
C1F3B510-8F29-4C88-A6CC-F1286EAF4FFC.jpeg
5C9BBB39-AD76-49B0-8A0E-3FAC5D8536BB.jpeg
A7DC8810-3C30-4A6F-8DFB-607E65CF80C5.jpeg
once it’s all welded, it is solid as a rock
FFE3558E-DB08-4D46-BFA3-E64B8BCF779C.jpeg

I had a slight delay in my build today as I had a Massive Brain Fart. I didn’t clean off my welding table before commencing with the welding project. There were several cans of aerosol carb cleaner and penetrant toward the back of the table. Just as I started welding, my ground clamp popped off and hit the carb cleaner can . The arc blew a pinhole in the side causing a instant Huge fireball all around me. I quickly knocked the other cans out of the way and grabbed my fire extinguisher and put it out. Nothing hurt but my pride. Just putting this out here to remind all you welders to think safety ! It could have been much much worse.

Oh I’m far from the top in class 2. I just like to build with basically what I have on hand. I don’t have frame jigs or alignment racks. I don’t use high dollar rims and tires. I’m just building for me, sharing, hoping you all find it likable.
I actually think your bike is at the top of the class !! Hands down .

Oh I’m far from the top in class 2. I just like to build with basically what I have on hand. I don’t have frame jigs or alignment racks. I don’t use high dollar rims and tires. I’m just building for me, sharing, hoping you all find it likable.
Fancy tools, parts, nor jigs make for a good bike. They can help, certainly, and in my case help overcome other deficiencies. Making due with what you have is a skilled art all it's own. And of course, building for yourself is what this is all about, right? The prize for the buildoff is the bike you wanted, eh?

Also, I find it likeable! :)

Latest posts

Back