Let's see those Kona HumuHumu & Kona A'Ha

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What year is this Humu frame I picked up and can I get repop decals?

Fork is canti, rear spacing is 135 and has cable guides for internally geared hub, color is black.

This frame needs repair so I’ll probably have it powdercoated a color of my choice anyhow. View attachment 212594View attachment 212595
It's a 98, that's when they had Kona on the head tube along with the jungle graphics. 97 would just be the k. Yes you can get decals, although I would wager that top tube sticker will be a tricky on to print, tricky to ship, tricky to apply.

Thanks Matti, d’you know if this one was a 7 or 8 speed back then? I only see the red one online for that year. It’s mostly the head tube sticker I want.

They were single speed.
kono_humu_original.jpg

Yes ... grabbed it out of the '98 catalog per Matti.

The Nexus 8 didn't come out until the early 00's...I don't know how many years Humus had igh hubs as it's an odd choice for a serious off road bike. Shimano was pushing Nexus 7s on manufacturers like crazy from about '97 til the Nexus 8 came out. I have four Nexus 7 equipped bikes from that era, a Jamis, a Bianchi, and two Electra's.

The Humus have always been weird, crossing back and forth over all the lines between beach cruiser, mountain bike, klunker. It won’t matter to me. This bike will get a 135 spaced coaster brake rear wheel and probably all the cable guides neutered off when the frame gets repaired.

Just one thing though: the one in the catalog has rear canti studs and a coaster brake bolt on bracket and mine has neither.

Mostly I was curious about the year because it’s interesting for me to keep track of all the various Humu iterations.

What year is this Humu frame I picked up and can I get repop decals?

Fork is canti, rear spacing is 135 and has cable guides for internally geared hub, color is black.

This frame needs repair so I’ll probably have it powdercoated a color of my choice anyhow. View attachment 212594View attachment 212595
What’s the serial number? How bad of a repair? I’m not aware of repop decals for the top tube, but I believe the downtube ones are around. Different countries got different models (labeled the same) with or without canti tabs and or cable routing for internal hubs. I’d guess yours may have come from Europe. Do you know any of its history from previous owners?

Example-
F654D0F3-ED78-497D-9AAC-F8F8E6E5C3A6.png

Labeled as a Humuhumu (although it has the curved top tube and paint of an A’ha). No Canti tabs, but does have cable guides. (Not my bike, but I wish)

Last edited:
This was my white whale unicorn whatever you call it dream bike.

2016 Humu Ti 18” 29er Surly Sunrise bars, Thomson x4 stem, Formula One hydro discs, Titec Beserker saddle and Maxxis Ardent semi slick rubber. Rids like a Ti dream.

5F83394C-D85C-41FC-8EA8-210BCA08F09C.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back