like to share how I strip paint!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure there are many ways to remove paint form the frame but I thought you guys may like to see how I get it done. :D

like many of you I too use a wire wheel...its great for getting into the many hard to reach places. however I find it take a long time ( for me anyway) As you all have seen, when I get moving on a bike not much slows me down. What I find much faster and a whole lot less aggressive to the metal, is the 3M Scotch-Brite pad! I use it on my angle grinder. Man does it work slick....100% faster than using a wire wheel. And it leaves the metal with little or no scratches once done. I still use the wire wheel for the hard to get to places.

IMG_1550.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

you can just see in the picture with the chain guard how the smooth the metal is....I find I have alot less prep work before paint

IMG_1552.jpg

hope this helps some of you happy stripping :wink:

Kewl! I have a couple of those lying around but hadn't thought to use them. I usually use the brash brushes mounted in a drill or the wheels in the mini grinder. When I get a compressed air line in my shop it will be an air powered grinder :mrgreen:

Aaron 8)

wahoonc said:
Kewl! I have a couple of those lying around but hadn't thought to use them. I usually use the brash brushes mounted in a drill or the wheels in the mini grinder. When I get a compressed air line in my shop it will be an air powered grinder :mrgreen:

Aaron 8)

i strongly suggest using an electric one because the amount of power they have, also i have a 30gallon air compressor and i still have to wait every 4 mins until it fills up to continue using the air grinder, after about 20 mins i took it apart for my other tools. just my 2 cents

3M has several lines all with different part numbers for each line. They also call these coating removal discs.

Hooch said:
hey is that the part number on those? I cant find them anywhere in my books and 3m said it might be a canada only product ugh

HAAA!!!!!!

we have it!!
and YOU can't get it!!........now that's a First!!
Now you know what it feels like to be a Canadian Consumer :wink: :wink:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hooch said:
hey is that the part number on those? I cant find them anywhere in my books and 3m said it might be a canada only product ugh

Well the good news is it says "Made in the USA" on it :lol:

ratrodrob,
I have a monster air compressor, 80 gallon tank 7.5hp two stage. It is still sitting in the crate until I get a decent shop built to put it in. We picked it up a while back at a bankruptcy sale :D along with a few other nice toys :wink: BTW I think that is an air grinder that FW has

Aaron 8)

Larry said:
3M has several lines all with different part numbers for each line. They also call these coating removal discs.
the 3m tech gal couldnt help me out... but I will continue my quest :)
even if i have to have them smuggled illegally! lol

Back