Lime Twist

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ride vids are epic! Great job on this build!

Just curious, I don't remember near the beginning of your build, but what puts this one in Class 2? Any frame welding mods?

Just curious, I don't remember near the beginning of your build, but what puts this one in Class 2? Any frame welding mods?
It's a repop frame he made himself

The rear triangle was from a 2002 or so reproduction frame. I was able to find and buy a handful of rear triangles a while back. I was making the top frame sections to complete the frames. I had wanted to enter one of these in a muscle bike build off but since the whole thing is not an “original frame” I’ll just do a class2. I’m not winning anything anyway. It’s just motivation to finish.

In making this top portion of the frame I did make minor changes from what would have been original. The head tubes are thicker walled, the welds were made to more closely resemble schwinn’s electro forged style vs swingbike’s lugged style. The center spring tab is moved farther back and the front of it is angled to match the angle of the frame lock mechanism for consistency and aesthetics. On this frame the lock doesn’t push and turn 90 degrees to lock. You remove the cotter pin and raise or lower the clevis pin for more of a hot-rod hood pin effect. Here is a picture of an original yellow frame I looked up for comparison. It’s pretty subtle.
19688579-8FC2-459E-AD7A-70C359A653BC.png
FEA0A8CA-AEC3-462F-A063-1958D70B136F.jpeg
ED5993AD-BC66-45AC-80E1-274E2A7D56A9.jpeg

Very cool! This is so well done, you can tell by the fact that a few of us that I know of, couldn't tell if it was production or custom!

And as far as 'winning anything'; you already won a cool bike you built yourself! That's the beauty of the buuld off!

I’ll had to move the crank over 1/16 of an inch so I could properly put the bottom bracket together. In doing that I removed the chain and broke the master link. Luckily I had found a spare master link section in the crack of a slab of cement earlier today. It fit great! I wanted to extend an aluminum kickstand but I was unable to get a spare to weld to so I used the steel kickstand off that old crusty 10 speed and extended that. Now I am just waiting for stickers. I re-designed these SWINGBIKE stickers for my own use and the print shop said they should be ready Tuesday. I hope so!

CCBC0B72-42D8-4528-BCF2-905F3539E32B.jpeg
6DDC57A6-A97D-43ED-B2C8-0455E61505D9.jpeg
A01A060C-9811-4F85-ABEC-14E686387EE7.jpeg

Considering the conversation that was had around what qualifies as production at the start of this BO I'm surprised you didn't ask earlier. Probably similar situation, what do all your peers think
I’m really not worried about it. It’s all for fun. I just ran across this photo today as I was looking for something else and thought it was kinda funny.

Latest posts

Back