Little Honda

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I know Uncle Stretch has a thread about chopping up these little Hondas, so I figured I would start one of my own. I bought this passport in the spring, it wasn't running but it was really cheap and had a title. Once I replaced the carb, fuel lines, and sealed the tank it fired right up. It actually runs really good and the 72cc will get it going somewhere around 45 mph.

Here is what it looked like when I got it.
DSC05576.jpg

Without the leg shield
DSC05583.jpg

I knew I was going to get rid of the scooter style handlebar/headlight setup so when I replaced the carb I went with a ct70 carb that has the choke on the carb instead of a cable. I put a 3" tire in the back and a 2.75" in the front and it just barely clears the fork. That was my first experience ever mounting motorcycle tires and that was an experience :lol: . Also for a while I was thinking about going with a motorcyle solo seat.
DSC05621.jpg

I haven't really had any time to mess around with the scoot much but I've been slowly collecting parts. Yesterday I had a break between deadlines and got as much done as I could. Uncle Stretch was cool enough to get me some metal pieces cut out for a seat pan, and some brackets so I could mount regular handlebars.

I saw these grips on one of texasbigjon's builds and thought they would look good. They are just there for mockup in the pictures and the controls will go between them and the risers.
DSC06173.jpg

I got the seat pan mounted and need to figure out spacers before I upholster it.
DSC06174.jpg

I got really lucky because the stock headlight fit perfectly inside a 1940's appleton spotlight I had. I bobbed the rear fender using a dremel tool and it actually worked a lot better than I thought it would. I'm thinking that I'll use a model 'a' tailight and I really need to figure a way to lower it in the back. The easiest solution would be to take out the rear suspension and put in some shorter strut rods, but I haven't decided yet. I'll also make a jockey style shifter for it. Then it's just a matter of taking it all apart and painting it.

DSC06171.jpg

DSC06178.jpg

DSC06176.jpg

Looking good. With your direction so far , I think the finished product will look killer. I just hope its not baby blue. :lol:

that is a crazy/cool little project you got going there! 8) those dog bone risers are HUGE man. if you want to lose that big muffler, ive got an older 1-3/4" straight shotgun fishtail pipe,that you could adapt to it. find the correct diameter where the old muffler starts to flare out and attach it there. its about 3' long and could be cut down to fit! :wink: you know your neighbors would love it! :lol:

looking good!! 8)
i've always wanted to do one of these to cruise to work and back (Sac-town is super flat)

to lower the rear of that monster, you could fab up a cool looking upper tower for those shocks...
maybe make it look like a shorty sissy bar? just a thought.....
but chopped and rigid is cool too!

can't wait to see it painted and striped!

Since I moved this project hasn't been touched. Finally the snow has melted so I pulled it out and started messing around with it. I finally got the carb all sorted and running perfectly. I took it for a ride and it is running better than it ever has. It was pouring rain and with no fenders I was getting pelted in face and the back of the head with water and dirt, but the whole time I was laughing. Even though you'll never make it much over 40 mph it sure is fun ride. I have a few more custom touches and then I think it is about time to get it painted.

I took the risers off and I think it looks better. What do you guys think?

DSC07719.jpg

DSC07717.jpg

DSC07718.jpg

i dig it and you know what they say "you meet the nicest people on a honda!" :D

Deorman- This is a fair weather bike I just couldn't help riding it in the rain this time. Plus it looks cooler with fenders :wink: . I've been going through the wiring so it will eventually have a working lights including a brake light.

karfer- You do meet nice people on a honda, but so far people just look at me like I am nuts. It's nice though because I have endless back country roads with hardly any cars to ride this.

No pictures to update but I have spent some time cutting and grinding all the unnecessary pieces off, and starting to get it ready for paint. Hopefully I can get the whole thing disassembled sometime this week.

It's funny because you look at the sparto light on a harley and it looks tiny, but on this it takes up the whole width of the fender :lol: .

Had a few minutes today and added a little piece to it. I think it helps give a bit of visual weight to the middle of the bike. It still needs to be welded and is just sitting there in the picture.

speedholes-1.jpg

You know the seat is a lot more comfortable than I would have thought. You really don't ever go much faster than 40 mph and the suspension is fairly soft. It's not as comfy as the stock seat was but it's about like a bicycle seat. Eventually I will probably have somebody do a nice upholstery job on it.

This is a quick sketch of how I want the seat to eventually look.
customseat.jpg

Latest posts

Back