Little Red Corvette

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I picked up this Craiggoslst Corvette today from a nice guy across town who was kind enough to hold it for an extra few days after his first no show.
I haven't had the chance to get to know about the old Schwinns yet, so any info would be appreciated.
The rear hub is stamped 56 on an S7 rim, the front one is not and it has Weinmann brakes. I'm wundering if the seat, brake levers and black sparkle grips are original.
I might get a chance to start a general clean and tune and will see how the paint cleans up.
[/URURL=http://s1080.photobucket.com/user/latefordinner/media/CorvetteRambler002_zps85d3cf84.jpg.html]

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out and he serial number is S 32699.

Checked it out and they used the serial number in June of '55 and November of '57.
Because the hub was dated as '56 I'm leaning towards it being a '57 as advertised by the guy that I bought it from.

Corvette

Leader of the Middlewight Popularity Parade!
Sturney-Archer 3-speed Gears
Front and rear Hand brakes
Stainless Steel fenders
Whitewall 1.75 middleweight tires
Spring-type luggage carrier on all models
Boys and Girls 26" and 24" models
coaster brake optional at lower cost

Colors:
Opalescent red, blue or green and black enamel

Thanks RatSphinx and Luke. I'm going to give the bike some attention today.
The paint soes have a fair bit of chipping and the rack needs a bit of straightening and scouring. I'll clean it up the best I can for now, but will consider a repaint if I decide it's a keeper. I've already ordered a replacement chain guard decal.
It has fatter tires than the originals and is a super smooth ride. I'm pretty sure the brake levers are wrong and the shifter works fine but is as aged as the rest.
It's definitely a Rat for now.
I also have a springer fork from my recent Dyno find that might come into play at some time although the original fork is probably the best original part of the bike right now.

If the bike truely has Stainless Steel fenders like the pic I posted, you indeed have a prize. I've got a painted over Corvette in the shed out back with SS fenders, but they are dinged up badly. Not sure at this time what year,as I've not checked the serial number. Maybe I'll do that today. :)

That sounds cool, I'm looking forward to hearing about and maybe seeing pics of your Vette from the shed.
I believe they are stainless fenders and no dents or bends that can't be straightened a bit, but there are a couple of scrapes.
I gave the bike a quick wash, wax, light lube and it's a nice 10 footer now, maybe 20 feet is better.
Tha rack springs have a certain crustiness, so I'll show them some love and see what happens.
Will I need a special tire size for the S-7 wheels or will a modern 26 slip right on? Can I go with a 2.1 or 2.125 with fender clearance?
URL=http://s1080.photobucket.com/user/latefordinner/media/CCMpostClean009_zps4c43ecd7.jpg.html]
CCMpostClean009_zps4c43ecd7.jpg
[/URL]

Only tires made for S-7 rims will work will work on them. There are guys on here that have fit S-2's in those frames. Any balloon tires will fit on S-2's. I'm sure you could use other brands of Balloon tire rims on the frame too. I'll post a pic or two of my Ratty Corvette in a couple of minutes.

Good information and picture.
I don't know of any Schwinn guys around here and cross border shopping/shipping is a huge factor when it comes to parts gathering.
It's a nice riding bike, so I'll have to figure out what the future holds. Too many bikes, too little space. :?

I spotted it at a neighborhood 2nd hand shop. It has AS Stem bolts (both bolts), AS seatpost bolt, "Schwinn Script" brake calipers,and the Stainless Fenders and the price was only $20.00. I couldn't get the words "I'll take it" out of my mouth fast enough. I'm sure it is '50's. I think I'll take a walk out to the shed and take a look at the serial number right now. Then I'll be done highjacking your thread. :oops:

Original paint is Opalescent Red like yours and the serial number is C45075
Built: 05/03 to 05/22 of 1957.That makes it about Three months older than me and Six months before your bike.Neither of our bikes could have been made in '52 because Schinn didn' start Middleweights until around '54.

I just realized that my bike does have a different Chainguard. If it's original, mine isn't a 'Vette.
bikefinds3-23-13161_zpsaa5cacf7.jpg

I'm not up on the Schwinn models yet, your's may have a later guard, Jaguar or Corvette? It looks like you're not running a 3 speed either and I don't know if your wheels are original or not. It looks like you have some kind of red band hub, so maybe its a 2 speed kick back model? But then again, I haven't become too familiar with the 2 speed or varios red band hubs either.
You might find a decal on the guard with a little wet sanding that may help solve the mystery.(or complicate it)
I popped the dents out of my fenders, straightened up the rack, replaced the rear reflector with a larger one and popped on a pair of red sparkle grips of unknown origin. That's about all I can do with what I had on hand.
Between tidying up this one and the Rambler since morning, I think I'll call it a day on bike work. :D

They were using that guard in '59. The site I listed earlier doesn't show a '58 catalog. The rear wheel has a single speed Bendix hub. I really don't think it's original as the bike has Caliper brakes fore and aft. It would have had a 3 speed originally. There would be no use for Caliper brakes with a Coaster brake too. Let's get back to following your bike now, as I have more important bike stuff to do here than worry about this mystery bike of mine. I have enjoyed collaborating with you on these but it's your thread.I look forward to following your progress. 8) Kerry

If you put S2's on the Corvette you will have to find the balloon size brake calipers, which are wider for the wider rims. Gary

Thanks for the Amazon link Kerry, I like Cheap..... and Choice.
I'm going to head over there now to browse.
It looks like they go for lunch money ! With shipping and customs, maybe dinner for two money, but a cheap dinner for two though. :D

Latest posts

Back