Little Wing

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a 1959 DNB Porta Fold. I've had the frame repaired to make it ridable. New wheels with a new SRAM 2 speed auto coaster make it a pretty nice ride. It's ready to build now. This is a pic from this morning.

2nc4e85.jpg

I have a bunch of customizing planned for this. I need a little more wheelbase, so it'll get dropout extensions in the rear. I had thought of suspension also, but with a coaster brake, the chain would tighten up with movement unless it pivoted at the cranks. No possible with this frame.

1z4iwb8.jpg

This won't be ratty, it will be a hot rod. Also, with the name Little Wing, it will be winged.

dg41ur.jpg

"And castles made of sand melt into the sea, eventually."

Cool bike!

Been looking forward to this!

Luke.

Me too!!! I want this build to come out soooo cool that it make me regret trading this bike to Barry!!!

Blow our minds like this cover

Here are a couple of pics and a few ideas I plan to do. First, rear dropout extensions in the shape of wings that have 2 slots for the rear axle, so the bike can be raised or lowered. A combination wheelie bar/drop stand will attach to those dropouts. I'll have a chain guard that wraps around the chain wheel like the old Columbia's had, with the rear portion winged. I'm still working on an idea for a rear rack that looks like dual exhaust pipes that also looks like wings. For the forks, I'm working out a plan to have the flanges for the springer in the shape of wings. I want the wheel a little more forward and slightly lowered. As for the springs, I'm not sure yet. I sure would like to find a cheater slick, 2.125. Everything I mentioned will be made of stainless steel. it's great having a shop at my disposal.

333zluu.jpg

25a1769.jpg

That's a lot going on with that lil bird!

I took it apart to check to see how everything was holding up after riding it for a couple weeks. No cracks or anything so it's good to go.I also noticed the cool logo on the rims.
8z0n5j.jpg

30u90cx.jpg

2mgk406.jpg

Last edited:
Those repairs are holding up well Wildcat!
I don't know if one would fit it that frame, but if you are after a slicky style whitewall, the ones I am using on my build are cool, only available in 2.2 and 2.4 widths though...

Luke.

I'm extending the dropouts, so there's enough width for a 2.4 wide. Where do you get those tires?

I'm extending the dropouts, so there's enough width for a 2.4 wide. Where do you get those tires?
I got them at my lbs, but I am told amazon has them and I know ChainReactionCycles has them too...

Luke.

Latest posts

Back