LONE RANGER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so my gear ratio will be lower than 2.5 to 1. I found a 38 T chain ring that fits my crank set properly. Combined with my 16T cog ,
I'll have a very low gear ratio of 2.375 to 1. But that could be fine; I live in a hilly area, so I'll be able to get up the hills fairly easily, and I'll just coast downhill.
Here's how it will look:
20221005_115617.jpg

I did pick up a 40T Campy chain ring today, in case this setup is just too low.

I did a very rough mockup of the complete bike, and I'm pleased with its overall look. I especially like my handlebar stem, the wheels and the small chainwheel. I'm happy with the blend of vintage and modern.
20221005_124227.jpg

Last edited:
Now I have to decide how to finish the frame. It has plenty of dents, and I read that light colors, or pastels, hide unevenness better than darks. I also read that flat or matte finishes hide the blemishes better than glossy, so I'll be looking for a light matte spray paint that will go with my brown saddle and grips, and my brass colored trim pieces that I'm planning on. Off to Ace. It's the place. Color choice is real important for my build, so I better think.
138190179.jpg-e1534429621340.jpg

It would be perfect for this buildoff, but I'm as committed as Tonto to my kemosabe, the Lone Ranger.

One of my favorite lines from a song involve Tonto and Kemosabe :D

I found a light, ultra matte yellow-gold paint at Ace, for the frame and fork, and I had a fresh can of a kind of aged brass, for some of the trim pieces. Oh, yeah, and some slightly contrasting Vinyl striping tape for the top bars. The pic isn't color true, it looks much better in daylight.
20221006_081959.jpg

The bike was already black, and it would be SO easy to prep it and give it a fresh coat of matte black, but nooo . . . I have to change the color instead of going back to black.
740full-amy-winehouse.jpg

SD, Rustoleum has some nice matte colors I have used. Maybe a desert tan, or limerock ivory, or cactus green? :grin:

This is looking really good so far! I really like your change to a simple single speed. Our bikes will have the same gear ratio, 40t x 16t. Also quite hilly here in our neighborhood, and I want to use it for bike shop commutes, grocery runs, and fun rides.

sKinNy oN~!

EDIT: Haha! Looks like you grabbed a nice color. Your Ace must be as close by as mine...about 2 miles.

SD, Rustoleum has some nice matte colors I have used. Maybe a desert tan, or limerock ivory, or cactus green? :grin:

This is looking really good so far! I really like your change to a simple single speed. Our bikes will have the same gear ratio, 40t x 16t. Also quite hilly here in our neighborhood, and I want to use it for bike shop commutes, grocery runs, and fun rides.

sKinNy oN~!

EDIT: Haha! Looks like you grabbed a nice color. Your Ace must be as close by as mine...about 2 miles.
They know me by name, and they are locally owned. And they've never tried to run me over with a forklift.

I disassembled my mock up this morning, and prepped the small parts for painting. I used self-etching primer on the bare metal and plated parts for better adherence. I did a bunch of trim pieces in an antique looking brass metallic that I really like, and the chain ring is now gloss yellow.

Truss rods and caliper pieces hangin' from the ol' paintin' tree:
20221006_133513.jpg

20221006_133456.jpg

Bits and bobs:
20221006_132824.jpg

20221006_132847-1.jpg

20221006_132833.jpg

Hopefully, I'll prep, sand, primer and paint the frame and fork tomorrow and it should be ready for final assembly by the weekend or early next week.

Ahhh...the old 'Painted Palo Verde', a rarer hybrid found only on the property of rat rod bike builders in the Southwest. I like the brass hardware!

The great thing about the desert is, watching paint dry isn't boring; it's fast!

This morning I cleaned, sanded and masked the frame and fork, then out to the ol' paintin' tree we went. I gave it all about two coats of white primer:
20221007_105927.jpg

20221007_110022.jpg

After an hour or so, I was ready for the final color, "Golden Leaf," according to Rustoleum:
20221007_132159.jpg

20221007_130740.jpg

Golden Leaf, shmolden leaf, this color is Worksman Yeller, if it's anything. I like it! And I like how it contrasts with my brassy-coppery trim pieces. I'm gonna let the paint cure for a coupla days. I have an ebike build and a gas motor build that I need to tend to. And I'm already formulating a plan for an unlikely off-road build, so I'm looking around for bits and pieces. But I will be watching you guys!

Looks like the color of our Poplar family trees here in the North country right now! Should look great with your brass fixings.

Assembly went fairly easily, with a couple of minor glitches along the way.
3.jpg

4.jpg

I love my skinny wheel set; not sure about my yellow chain ring.
Here's a closer look:
5.jpg

The best I can say is . . meh.

I do like how most of the parts look--
6.jpg

7.jpg
8.jpg

My "matte" yellow paint did nothing to hide the proliferation of dents on this old frame, in fact, the paint seems to bring the imperfections out!
9.jpg

This chain stay is the worst, but I have an idea for that later.

It's starting to look like a real bike!
10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg
Even better!

I will have to go with brassy pedals and chain wheels, but first I need to address an off-center rear wheel.
13.jpg

I'll just switch some nuts around on the axle. You know the routine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back