Low Buck, Funky Junk, Burrito NOW with $1.55 truss rods!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Coaster's have an up coming 20" night and I had planned on riding a Black Friday Krate, but I ended up trading it off for some chrome work. I also recently came across several loads of bikes, mostly junkers.... so I decided to just build something.

I have a grand total of $0 in this bike if you dont count welding wire and grinder discs... lol
The front half is whats left of an old AMF 26" diamond frame, the back half was some kind of Mongoose bmx bike, and the middle is some rusty old pipe I had laying aorund. It took almost a whole length of garage door chain!

001-6.jpg

002-7.jpg

003-7.jpg

I only have about 4 hours into this build, I rode it around earlier and it really wanst that bad. Turns were interesting :lol: Got some tweaking to do with the bars, and maybe some chain clearance issues, and still need to mount that coaster brake arm. I think the front is just a little lower than the rear, I might take a little bend out of the forks to raise it up just a bit, and add some truss rods.

Re: Low Buck, Funky Junk, Burrito

the rear triangle is actually chrome, with some funky black over the top.

but I can make it rusty... lol :lol:

Looks like the truss rods are a definate go!

To kickstand, or not to kickstand.... hmmm

Rode it a little more tonight, chain clears the frame but is rubbing on the seat spring. I like the look of the springer seat so I really dont wanna lose it. I may end up putting solid rods in there to disable the springer part but still keep the look.

Got the brake arm mounted, bars are as tweaked as good as possible. Gotta come up with some kind of grips. Probably change out that front knobby. Maybe it needs a King Bee headlamp?

My son was asking what color I was gonna paint it? .... I said "whaddya mean paint???.... its done!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Opinions on kickstands? Didnt I read somewhere about how a kickstand on a Burrito breaks rule #11 ?

yes, no kickstand. use your pedals. good lookin burrito, my fav kind of bike. oh yeah.

Outlaw

Re: Low Buck, Funky Junk, Burrito

aka_locojoe said:
Too cool!
The blue to rust looks pretty good. Too bad the rear triangle isn't rusty.
A burrito is on my to-do list also.

The rear triangle has been given the "treatment" and now looks right at home. I also made my own grips out of jute twine and some shellac, got the front tire changed out to something more practical thanks to 65Rat and Udallcustombikes!

Got the seat issue taken care of so now there are no chain clearance problems.

I have ridden it around on my street, and it seems to do ok. The maiden voyage will be this Thursday for the 20" night Pub Pedal, probably be the slowest one in the group, but Ill get there eventually!

For anyone considering one of these builds.... DO IT!!!

Back