Lowco Liner (aka Sunday Best)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is going to be fascinating, Doc. I'm looking forward to the results
spockvisortan2.png

We have wheels!
On the front, I simply taped the spokes together on the donor wheel and transferred
everything in one shot to the new rim.
B7C7439C-143E-4B40-A0A0-717E5A85842D.jpeg

On the rear, I messed up the taping and had to completely disassemble the rear donor wheel.
BAC5C790-6B3C-4762-87A6-73D15CC6710C.jpeg

But, I found this awesome lacing video on YouTube, this guy has a technique that ‘clicked’ with me.

In no time, I had this, my first successful wheel lacing!
52EACB81-80BA-4A0D-AC54-977A5167725E.jpeg

I’ll take them to my LBS this week for fine tuning, the rear is going to have be really true to prevent tire rubbing.
Here’s the set.
878D524E-63C1-468D-8B9E-E639D18C226F.jpeg

This was a big hurdle for me on this build. Now that I’m almost past it, I can pick up speed on the rest.
I have some parts coming tomorrow and through the week.
Stay tuned….
Cheers!

Nice job on the wheels, Dr T! I assume you'll be 'rolling right along' on the rest of the build now! :wondering: :wink1: :bigsmile:

I Wheelly Like Those!

106153.gif

New fenders came in today. Decided to go with a full length set of ducktails.
A91B4D40-3E71-4DEF-A472-D3801991BC26.jpeg

The spacing on the front looks pretty good, just need to fab up a way to attach the fender to the bottom of the fork. There’s a threaded hole for a screw, I guess I could just drill a hole in the fender.
9C0ABB43-C112-422D-AB32-DE6F26881B8A.jpeg

Anyway, the rear is a little ‘off’ from having a uniform distance from the wheel.
55AB00EB-9A7D-4309-B343-2AF86EEEEF5F.jpeg

That’s mostly because of the brace between the stays. I transferred the curve of the fender to some tape on the brace, I’ll grind that section out to get it to tuck in there.

53973999-147B-4853-97D2-13B0A8B9B4F7.jpeg

This is really coming together now!!!
Great choice on those full fenders. I can see your vision even better now!
That thing is nasty!!!

This bike is turning out gooood. I've always found wheel building to be meditative and relaxing. Best done with no time constraints to get best results. I'm sure factory's turn out wheels in minutes as opposed to an hour for me on assembly and maybe another hour getting it round, true, and in the middle. I can always tell how well I did by how upright it rides hands off.

Shiny! Lowco Liner keeping some of Sunday Best snazziness!

I think you are using whitewalls, right? I always final fit the fenders with the tire on the wheel, because the drop out location may shift just a bit depending on tire fit with the fender on there.

Washers in strategic mounting places help to get the spacing the way you want it for the tire to fender lines.

Took the wheels to my LBS for final tuning/trying. Gonna have them swap jam nuts too. For some reason this wheel (and the donor too) sit a little of center in the frame. Swapping left for right should cure the spacing.
While I was out, I stopped at Ace for the bits to mount the headlight.

699B9208-812F-45C0-8909-6F9D6075003A.jpeg

Got the switch and did a ‘test’ circuit..👍🏼
Just need to go through my old electrical connector box and find some small ones.
Getting to the good stuff now.
Oh yeah, and I have to finish restoring the fork!

My plan is to mount some sort of horn in the tank, the handlebar is a 7/8” motorcycle (I think maybe from a Yamaha?), so it was already drilled on the right hand side, near the grip, for either the throttle cable or something else (I’m a motorcycle fan, but sadly not an owner/rider). In any event I decided to use a Harley repop horn button and fish the wires through the bar and out the left side just beyond the stem.
It was a bit of a ‘chore’, but it’s ‘job done’ now. On to the next task.
6353BC1A-1B26-4D18-A117-6EE8F77BAAAE.jpeg
208DFE53-73F8-4840-A7EA-B7F0F5131D4E.jpeg

Now to run to the hardware store for a couple of decent looking self-tapping screws and some other ‘bits’
Cheers! 🍻

My plan is to mount some sort of horn in the tank, the handlebar is a 7/8” motorcycle (I think maybe from a Yamaha?), so it was already drilled on the right hand side, near the grip, for either the throttle cable or something else (I’m a motorcycle fan, but sadly not an owner/rider). In any event I decided to use a Harley repop horn button and fish the wires through the bar and out the left side just beyond the stem.
It was a bit of a ‘chore’, but it’s ‘job done’ now. On to the next task.
View attachment 203925View attachment 203926
Now to run to the hardware store for a couple of decent looking self-tapping screws and some other ‘bits’
Cheers! 🍻
Probably drilled for a locating pin in the throttle assembly to keep it from spinning when you twist the grip

Nice work on the horn button. It looks natural there. I forgot how cool the grips were on those bars too.

Probably drilled for a locating pin in the throttle assembly to keep it from spinning when you twist the grip
That makes sense. It was a bit small to have been for wiring, ‘was’ being the key word. I opened it up a bit for both wires (plus the guide cable) to more easily feed in.

Latest posts

Back