lubes????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i know what i've been using, but i just thought i'd toss this out to get other(more experianced) opinions.

crank bearings i just use auto bearing/axle grease.
i used to use the same for head tube bearing, but i read in a manuel to use white lithium grease, so i've been using that.

and am i the only one that uses anti-seize when installing pedals?

right? wrong? what do y'all think?

This can be like talking about religion for some. In short, just use what you have. I grease pedals, seatpost and stems.

I use red Mystik JT-6 for everything except hubs. I use white lithium for hubs, especially for kick backs. B607

i use phil for everything. i dont use car bearing grease because it is for really high temp use and lets face it most of these never get to that sort of temp. unless you have a clunker and are doing a repack sort of race then go for it. that is my 1/4 cent

LOL

I use a special , top seceret greese , that the Ferrei factory F1 mechanics use on any thing that go's slow & Do's not have any wind resistance values But is still very slippery . This grease is Very hard to come by & can only be obtained from a Genuwine Ferrie mechanic.

I got connections ya no, I got it from a friend of a friend of a friend yano

If anyone has anything better or slipperyer please let me know

Mad man on the loose .... OOps I mean YIPPY lol

Ya think ??

i like to use butter!!! when i'm beating it like a rented mule. mmmmmmm butter popcorn smell better then a sammich hangin just out of reach on the end of a stick

cman said:
This can be like talking about religion for some. In short, just use what you have. I grease pedals, seatpost and stems.

No joking.

karfer67 said:
i use phil for everything. i dont use car bearing grease because it is for really high temp use and lets face it most of these never get to that sort of temp. unless you have a clunker and are doing a repack sort of race then go for it. that is my 1/4 cent

This has been my opinion as well. I'm sure that auto grease doesnt hurt anything, but I'd guess it's not as slick at lower friction levels since it's designed to not break down at ultra high friction levels.

That being said, a person could use the best grease in the universe, and it wouldnt make up for badly adjusted bearings. Hows that phil hold up to water, (not that we get any here in bakersfield)?

sorry(not really :lol: ) to bring up such an old thread, but i just thought i'd pass this along.
i discovered this stuff-red devil last summer, and it's all i use anymore.
grease w/ "rock & roll" on the lable has got to be a quality product.
000_0005-2.jpg

Beatcad;

I use anti-seize on almost all threaded items.

Curtis

In terms of how long does grease last, (I.E. not degrade from oxidization) high temp automotive wheel bearing grease out does all the bicycle grease on the market, and it is way cheaper and easier to find. White lithium grease is actually pretty terrible stuff that breaks down in sunlight and hot air conditions.

For threaded parts such as axles, (threads that are gonna have nuts put on them) Anti seize is the way to go. It's nearly impervious to water, but use it sparingly as it can and will stain painted surfaces. It should also be noted that Anti-Seize will attract and hold sand and dust. Also only a small amount is needed, no need to glom it on there.

For chains I have found that a dry-style penetrating lube like PB Blaster to way out perform lubes like Phils and Pedro's. Avoid WD-40 as it is pretty greasy and will stay sloppy and attract sand and dust.

Stay away from spray silicone and spray lithium grease, both of those are useless as lubricants for moving parts.

I've been a bicycle technician for nearly 19 years,and these are my choices based on experience. Not everyone is gonna agree, but then again they never do. I just had a moron at Autozone tell me that using anti-seize on brake caliper locator pins on my Subaru would result in ruined brakes. Funny, as it never has in the many many years I've been working on cars.

White lithium is an assembly lube, generally intended to be displaced by whatever the appropriate operational lube during use. (Oil, grease, etc.) I use light machine oil (not three-in-one, it's prone to drying out), or motor oil on clutch-brake discs, gear hubs, derailleurs, shifters, brake pivots, etc., and auto axle and bearing grease on bearings, and 3-in-1 or PB Blaster and a wipe on chains. Some guys swear by graphite on brake pivots and chains, it works but so does oil, so why bother with yet another container, and it's messy too.

Latest posts

Back