Lugged Tandem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know why but I bought this. Don't really care for the looks and don't need it. Payed way to much but I couldn't pass it up in case it was worth something. Maybe I'll fix it up and take it on our rails-to-trails rides.

Bought it off an individual in town. Don't know anything about it and neither did the seller. I'm guessing it is a road or touring tandem and someone added the apes. What I do know...
It's a lugged frame. Shimano 3 speed rear w/o coaster brake although the frame does have a "braze on" for a coaster brake arm. No rear brake at all. Has a front drum brake. Looks like a threadless headset. Euro eccentric bottom bracket. Has braze ons for a tire pump.

Has several other weird braze on bracket things. One on front fork and one on rear seat stay.

More photos here

Can someone help me identify it?

pic001.jpg

I edited the first post. I had said it didn't have an eccentric bb but it does.
Also what I thought was a bracket for a coaster brake arm seems to be too far forward.
It also has rear facing dropouts.
The wheels are mismatched and neither is probably original. Surely it had a rear derailer.
The 3 speed shifter I can tell was added later.

Wow! That thing is COOL. It looks English from the cranks and the fact it's lugged and the front fender. I'd suspect it's a Raliegh, Hercules, Triumph or Dunelt.

I second Skoda. The peaked front fender and cottered cranks lead to that. The front fork Braze on may be for a ground for the wheel dyno.

I hang mine by one hook from the ceiling. works okay but we will see how the front wheel fairs over the winter.

That bike is an old English made bike. The fork add on is a lamp holder for old dyno lights. The one on the rear on the right side is for a Cyclo derailleur. Not a great derailleur in the pre WW11 ones. The left side may be for the drum brake cable clamp. It may have the correct front hub and rim but the rear is not original. The seats and bars are not original but the seat posts and bar clamps are. The cranks are most likely Williams, made in England. Please don"t damage the frame or modify it. I like it as is. Do you want to sell it.

Also fenders are not original. The small tabs at the bottom of the forks are for the fender mounts. There is 2 more on rear downstays. Correct fenders for this bike would sell on Ebay for over a hundred bucks. I cannot say what brand this would be.There was many makers in England back then and most shops made their own tandems using lugs from Brown Bros catalogues.

Back