made room for a new bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture004.jpg

if you in the market for this type of bike, it might be worth looking into. truthfully it was kind of an impulse buy for me (and i'm hoping i don't regret it), but i just didn't think i'd come across a better deal.

i went into town friday to pay a bill and stopped at a nearby honda dealer to look since it's close by. they had these vxt1800's lined up near the back of the showroom at $8999. they're unsold 2007 models. i left but kept thinking that seems like a real good deal. only $1000 more than the new shadow 750's and less than the new vxt1300's. so i looked at some reviews on the 'net, and checked ebay to compare prices. it turned out that almost every 2007 on ebay was new and being sold by a dealer. some were even less (the dealer later told me 2007 was a bad year for the big bikes. it was about when the recession started).

a cruiser wasn't my real first choice of bike, but most all the reviews for it were good, and it didn't have too laid back of a riding position. i don't like that "passenger holding the handlebars" feeling.

i decided to go back the next day and feel it out. i talked the the dealer and he ran some numbers. since it's a new bike i'd also get a rebate deal that was going on, plus he knocked off $500 'cause i picked the basest model (i liked it best anyway. the others were different colors and/or had extra styling stuff i didn't like). it ended up only being a bit over the tag price out the door. 0 miles and 1 year warranty for a used bike price.

it occurred to me just today that maybe i could have hunted around the kaw-suz-yam-buell dealers and found similar deals on something i liked better (i was in a harley dealership when i thought of it, but they didn't have a better deal on any of theirs), but i'm not gonna cry over it. i think i can be happy with this.

Its a nice bike man! Head out on the open road and enjoy that bad boy. Very sharp lookin bike. Way to go, .... good deal too.

One thing it appears to have in common w/current 750's is foot peg placement. Be aware that the road might start snatching at your heel before you run out of clearance or tread. It also makes it difficult to lift yourself from the seat. I replaced my pegs w/Cobra floorboards and not only did it eliminate these annoyances, I now have MORE :shock: cornering clearance, and can move my legs farther both rearward and forward, Quite a plus on longer rides and crappy roads. Kind of expensive, but well worth it if using the bike as a main vehicle.

p.s. keep the stock pipes. the engine on the 1800 is a real road burner, but they don't work well stock w/free breathing pipes, and they sound like poop!

Latest posts

Back