make a modern cog work with a skip chain

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have seen a few people ask this and thought i would post how i do it. a lot of you want to use a skip front sprocket, and chain but either dont have a good rear wheel, or want to use a modern hub like a nexus3 or 7 speed. all you need is to remove the rear cog, make sure it has an even # of teeth and grind off every other tooth. i use a bench grinder to do this as i have more control. i start by grinding each tooth down in a rough cut. then come back and carefully profile the area in between so it has a nice smooth radius. thats all there is to it see that was not so hard huh? :mrgreen:

just realized i typed with rather that work in the tittle. oops i stand corrected

is there a difference in the thickness of the old skip tooth cogs and the more modern non-skiptooth cogs, and if so does it matter? I'm guessing it doesn't matter since it sounds like you do this regularly.

thanks for the idea.

yes the modern cogs are more narrow but i have never had any issues using the wider skip chain on them.

Back