Making a tank

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working in the automotive business, this is the way I learned to package new parts. Of course, now days the parts go right from CAD to rapid prototype. This is the old school method along with wooden mock-ups. First, you need a accurate drawing of the surrounding area, which in this case is the bike frame. Next you need to draw your part (tank) in side view and plan view (top view).
Biketanksv.jpg

Next you need to decide what a typical section through the tank will look like. Draw this section within the dimensions of your side view and plan view. This is much easier if you have access to a CAD program, but it can be done with a pencil, triangle, ruler and a good eye.
Tanksections-1.jpg

If you are doing this manually, you need to determine how far apart you want your sections to be and start creating boxes that represent the extreme dimension for each section. Now draw the desired section within the confines of each box.
Tanksections.jpg

Once you have your sections drawn you can transfer them to a sheet of Foamcore. Foamcore is like two sheets of thin poster board with foam sandwiched in between. This is usually available at your local art supply store. I find that the thinner board is better. While your at the art supply store pick up an Exacto knife and some #11 blades. Now the fun begins!
Cut your side view out of the Foamcore and cut a slot halfway down for each section to slide into.
tankmodel004.jpg

Cut out each section with a slot coming from the opposite direction as on the side view as shown in the picture above. Don't be afraid to use lots of blades I find that they dull quickly and start tearing the Foamcore. Slide them all together and you have your space model.
You can now use this to check the look as well as the fit. If you are satisfied you can use your space model to create patterns from. Notice that after I created my models that I went back and added a chamfer on the front of my CAD model (top image) to clear the forks better.
tankmodel002.jpg

tankmodel006.jpg

tankmodel008.jpg

The red tank is just made of thin cardboard/oaktag. The idea is to use the oaktag to make steel pieces from. I do class a surface work for Chrysler. I take the pretty pictures and clay models from the styling studio and work with the engineers to make them production ready. The main tool I use is CATIA V5.

this will be a good ref. for the whizzer im building... (which i think your building too) those tanks they come with are cheezy looking!!!!!

nice work............this is more rat style....i wanted a tank for my 37 lasalle...i couldnt afford 200-400 for an original
tank...so i made mine.....two halves fasten together and the tank hangs from straps made from 22 clamps[brake lever clamps]made one side view pattern....then carved it out of wood...when its painted people have to touch it to see if its real.....i gat some better pic tommorrow....phil

2006_0210lasalle0001.jpg

mandysbus said:
nice work............this is more rat style....i wanted a tank for my 37 lasalle...i couldnt afford 200-400 for an original
tank...so i made mine.....two halves fasten together and the tank hangs from straps made from 22 clamps[brake lever clamps]made one side view pattern....then carved it out of wood...when its painted people have to touch it to see if its real.....i gat some better pic tommorrow....phil

2006_0210lasalle0001.jpg

cool!

how did you get the girving 1 1/8" fork steertube to fit the 1" steerer of the frame?

I remeber reading somewhere that those forks were made 1" for one two years sometime around '95.

tartosuc said:
mandysbus said:

2006_0210lasalle0001.jpg

cool!

how did you get the girving 1 1/8" fork steertube to fit the 1" steerer of the frame?
i think it is 1 inch........it fit right in[thats something you never want your girlfriend too say]........phil

i dunno...id say the old school method is make a wooden buck and hammer form it like they did with the old italian racers :wink:
and yeah dont feel to bad boneshaker....guess im prehistoric myself!

From what ive read this way of making complex shapes dates back to the earliest forms of ship building. Now we create the part on a computer, check for interferance on the computer then send the data to a rapid prototype machine and have a part made.

boardtracker fan
thank you so much for this post
you did great
i should have rembered how to do this but i had forgot
guess i'm getting old or mabye the mind is just slowing down
or mabye too many projects going at the same time
but thanks for reminding me how to do this form of art
great how to post
keep it up

ponytailmike
mike

Boardtrack fan said:
Now we create the part on a computer, check for interferance on the computer then send the data to a rapid prototype machine and have a part made.
wasnt bagging on the idea(its a good one!)just dont have access to the computer parts^^^

Back