Marji Gesick

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This 100 mile MB race is named for the American Indian that showed the white man where the iron ore was back in the wilderness in 1840. I know there are more insane races but this is extreme to me. 10,000 feet of climbing in the first half. On your own, GPS, maps, headlight required and the squiggly parts are very technical. Mostly single track. I would have to walk on some of it as the rock steps are too much for me. On some of the sections it is reported that it is better and faster to walk and this saves energy for the easier parts. There are a rats maze of logging, mining, abandoned RR grades and one and two tracks up here and I have gotten temporarily disoriented (lost) when I first started riding the official MB trails. The logging roads are always changing and that messes up your references. I wouldn't think you would want to get lost, especially near the end and you figured out you have to turn around and go up that big rocky hill again. Plenty of water on the trail but it is full of parasites. If I was 50 years younger I would probably be dumb enough to consider it. Hats off to those who try and two hats off to anyone that finishes. Any takers out there? Don't count on calling 911 from your cell as there are big dead areas, you might have to wait for someone to find cell bars to phone 911 help.

Last edited:
I rode some of the trail towards the end and it was pretty insane, steep rock, lots of braking, pretty technical, steep climb after steep climb. They are predicting that most will finish after dark. My riding buddy yesterday was gong to enter but was dissuaded after an hour on the trail.

View from one of the knobs towards Sugar Loaf Mountain, which is the next climb. Lake Superior is in the background and the trail goes to the other side of the bay before climbing Mt. Mesnard and going over another series of extensive trails before heading 20 miles away from the Lake and riding the upland sections I was on yesterday.

This is near the start and there are many sections like this in this area. Some call it Narwals as it has gnarly walls. Race organizers recommend walking some areas as it will be faster than riding and will save energy for the easier sections.

Latest posts

Back