May Day UC Davis Bicycle Auction

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the University of California, Davis Bicycle Auction today. My first auction ever and it was to say the least interesting. These were bikes abandoned by students. I guess they don't want to take them home and it's too much trouble to sell them or give them away. There were 426 total bikes auctioned, and they all sold, some for as little as $2.00 for some junkers and as high as $450.00 for one or two high end road bikes. Mostly Next, Roadmasters, Mongoose, Taiwan Schwinns and the like. Brands the typical student would get for riding around campus. More like appliances than bicycles. I scored a couple cruisers with coaster brakes which is what I was after. The cruisers were far and few in between. Cheap mountain bikes dominated. If you live local to a good sized college or university they may do the same thing. Check it out, I was not disappointed and it was a hoot to watch.
DavisBicycleAuction002.jpg
DavisBicycleAuction001.jpg
DavisBicycleAuction004.jpg
DavisBicycleAuction005.jpg
DavisBicycleAuction006.jpg
DavisBicycleAuction007.jpg
DavisBicycleAuction008.jpg
The high wheeler was on display and not in the auction, bummer!

O sure, keep me all calm until I saw the high wheel and nearly had to change my shorts until I read the caption! I was at Alameda antique fair. A couple old Schwinns with high price tags. One sold. A clean, original paint , straightbar with no tank or rack and plain chainguard sold for $425! The other, NO WAY! $500 for a girls late 40's Schwinn loaded with tank and rack in maroon and white. Nice and clean but too much.

Latest posts

Back